Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flow in Wisconsin?  (Read 3725 times)

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
Flow in Wisconsin?
« on: May 25, 2010, 02:30:16 am »
Anyone starting to have a honey flow in WI or nearby midwest? 

My hives are looking good  :yippiechick: - although a couple new packages aren't quite ready for supers in any case, but with the fairly decent spring weather we have had I was wondering if wisconsin Beeks are seeing a good honey flow yet.  We have some nectar coming in, but only just recently threw a couple supers on the busy hives.

Doesn't seem like abundant blossoming out there besides the Dame's Rocket going crazy in the ditches by the roadsides these days :shock:, but I can never tell what trees are providing nectar that I can't really see blossoms from.

Just getting anxious.  :lol:

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
Re: Flow in Wisconsin?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 10:10:13 am »
I am in eastern Iowa, south of you but not by a lot.  Definitely into flow here, locust trees are almost past blooming, red clover is already starting to come in.  I am new at this and I know I was surprised how the hives went from just bringing in a bit of pollen to "Whoa! Where did all of this honey in progress come from?"  In fact I am going to put more supers on my two hives today - even the one that is a split and queenless as they are waiting for the queen cells they  made to hatch and they seem to be stuffing honey EVERYWHERE since they don't have anything else to do. :)

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:28:47 am »
It's only my 2nd year, but to me it looks like they are really putting in a lot of nectar. My syrup is barely moving, yet there is quite a bit stored in the hives... There is a LOT blooming in WI right now! For one example, ALL the berries are in bloom here right now: Strawberries, raspberries, black raspberries and..... Blackberries!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:45:40 pm »
I'm in western WI- yep the flow is on here too.  Hives are looking good so far.  Hope the weather cooperates!  Black locust is at it's peak here.  Blackberries, just starting.  Didn't get much from the apple blossoms- rainy & cold here. So- mine are just slightly behind last year's mark at this point.
Sleep is overrated!

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 06:38:37 pm »
North west/Mid west here an the flow has been going for a while, blackberry is blooming ahead of  schedule, alfalfa is going to pop any day if it does not get cut.  As long as we get some more rain, we should have a great June.  Im thinking big honey this year.  Got a couple supers just about ready now.  Awesome, and to top it off I just secured a yard with an older farmer who only makes three crops of alfalfa a year and he said if it blooms it blooms.  Cant wait to get bees there.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:54:05 pm »
Thanks for responses.  Guess I was getting a bit ancy. Hearing the notion that flow is on we brought a super each out to the yard to put on 2 new packages and a split.

2nd hive body in each one still had the same 6-7 unworked frames that we put on there a bit ago (not that long, so I guess I shouldn't complain, but they could at least have built up some comb on the foundation to throw me a bone   :-\).

Other 2 overwintered hives don't seem to be going gonzo on the supers we had already put on their hives.

So put some water in their feeders, packed up our 3 supers, and wished them a happy memorial day and left,  . . . . if a bit disappointed.  (O.K., I yelled back "get to work" to them, but I don't think they listen to me . . . they never have before)

Ahhhhh,  . . . . . beekeeping.  :(

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 10:52:07 am »
North west/Mid west here an the flow has been going for a while, blackberry is blooming ahead of  schedule, alfalfa is going to pop any day if it does not get cut.  As long as we get some more rain, we should have a great June.  Im thinking big honey this year.  Got a couple supers just about ready now.  Awesome, and to top it off I just secured a yard with an older farmer who only makes three crops of alfalfa a year and he said if it blooms it blooms.  Cant wait to get bees there.
Awesome! That answers my question of whether alfalfa blooms or not. My husband left 1-2 acres just for the bees and then interplanted it with cloves and other stuff. We also have a huge garden and a bunch of clover, sunflowers and buckwheat for buffers and rainflow zones. It's looking good around here! Plenty of rain and warmth.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 12:37:17 pm »
Content posting #12
What does this mean?
The pedigree of honey