Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee hive Questions after today  (Read 9493 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
Re: Bee hive Questions after today
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 09:37:03 pm »
Ok a little back story. I got a new nuc on April 15th it was a 4 frame nuc. I drive it home and set up the hive and everything is going well I think. I mean there are bees everywhere. I pop it open one day with no smoker and protection. I of course got stung RIGHT on the end of my nose.

I was visiting with my neighbor who has had bees for several years. He told me to wait a couple weeks to put the other deep on. So I waited for my other set of frames and foundation to come in, which took a couple weeks. I finally get everything all assembled and I still don't have a smoker (which is a whole thread in its self) so I ask my neighbor to come out and help me put on this other deep.

We crack open the hive and the bees have all the frames built out. Neighbor starts looking through the hive and tells me they are out of room, mad, and trying to swarm. He showed me all the queen cells and swarm cells. We clean everything up and put the other deep on the bottom with two frames of brood in it and then the full deep on top.

Well I FINALLY get a smoker yesterday. Now I checked the beez 3 days after the inspection with my neighbor and it didn't appear they were building back any queen cells.
So today I crack open the hive to see how things are coming. It's been 2 weeks since the last inspection. In the top deep I see brood, larve, and a frame full of eggs. I also find about three queen cells that are uncapped and what I THINK are some swarm cells on the bottom of that frame. So I destroy those and put everything back. In the bottom deep (the one we added lately) all but four of the frames are built out and there are no eggs yet in the ones that are built out.

So my question is, are they still trying to swam? Are they superceeding the queen and should I let them? Also how long after brood is capped does it hatch to a bee?

I think thats all I got for now.

Chappy

If I see my hive ready to swarm,i'll help them,i'll make a split or two or three.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Chappy99

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 12:58:22 am »
I think someone hit the nail on the head and thats not having enough wooden ware.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 02:54:44 am »
Joelel is just into stirring up controversy, just ignore his posts as he fluxuates between crowing as an expert to pretending to be a complete dunce.

I would venture to say that before long he's likely to get a warning from the moderators due to his antics.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 10:25:30 am »
Ok.... short talk time.

First, I just want to say that indeed splitting (especially many hives is extremely costly if you have no spare woodwork or foundation) that aside, I see nothing wrong with letting some hives go feral in a small be yard - nature isn't fighting over resources in a basic backyard beekeeper's yard, especially if you are properly feeding your bees where others cannot get to the food. Letting a swarm go and possibly survive is how nature intended, isn't it?

No... Brian, please keep such comments to yourself, anything the mods do here they do through input from members in posts to moderators and personal observations. We handle the forum quite well and you surely have been around long enough to see many times we have dealt with things we see as "situations" your post here does little more that stir up Joelel into coming back with words of equal pot stirring - which he better not. Please let us do our job STEALTHLY as we tend to do.

Joelel, your reply wasn't much more than self gratifying bantor, if you have something to say, then say it. I cringe everytime my yard wants to expand and I'm not ready for it, it is a difficult situation to deal with, and often one that many members here can not monitarily justify. You've had lots to say elsewhere, try adding some helpful replies, not just telling us how perfectly you handle a situation on the fly.

Chappy99, I only ask two things of new members, 1 they be nice to each other, and 2 that they post their location in their profile (the profile button is located a few tabs over from the home button below your avatar image) click on it then click on the PROFILE INFORMATION LINK - you will see where you can add info about yourself, just add a location or anything else you wish. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 02:42:02 pm by beemaster »
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline TwoBigCats

• New Bee
    • TwoBigCats
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 01:48:49 pm »
From my experience as a second year Beek, you will get at least four different perspectives on what to do next. 
+1 (i'm a 2nd year beek, too)

having "said" this, the op / responders have covered several issues i'm personally dealing with at this very moment.  in addition to the biology-specific things, it looks like i need to buy more woodware and get on with things.

thx to all for your feedback.
hal

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 12:58:51 am »
Sorry, I will take the admonishment to heart.  Didn't mean to intrude or incite.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 02:07:19 am »
Ok.... short talk time.

First, I just want to say that indeed splitting (especially many hives is extremely costly if you have no spare woodwork or foundation) that aside, I see nothing wrong with letting some hives go feral in a small be yard - nature isn't fighting over resources in a basic backyard beekeeper's yard, especially if you are properly feeding your bees where others cannot get to the food. Letting a swarm go and possibly survive is how nature intended, isn't it?

No... Brian, please keep such comments to yourself, anything the mods do here they do through input from members in posts to moderators and personal observations. We handle the forum quite well and you surely have been around long enough to see many times we have dealt with things we see as "situations" your post here does little more that stir up Joelel into coming back with words of equal pot stirring - which he better not. Please let us do our job STEALTHLY as we tend to do.

Joelel, your reply wasn't much more than self gratifying bantor, if you have something to say, then say it. I cringe everytime my yard wants to expand and I'm not ready for it, it is a difficult situation to deal with, and often one that many members here can not monitarily justify. You've had lots to say elsewhere, try adding some helpful replies, not just telling us how perfectly you handle a situation on the fly.

Chappy99, I only ask two things of new members, 1 they be nice to each other, and 2 that they post their location in their profile (the profile button is located a few tabs over from the home button below your avatar image) click on it then click on the PROFILE INFORMATION LINK - you will see where you can add info about yourself, just add a location or anything else you wish. Thanks.

:) ;) :-X :-*
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 02:26:52 am by Joelel »
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2009, 03:01:13 am »