Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sunkist bees from Russell Aparies?  (Read 2394 times)

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
Sunkist bees from Russell Aparies?
« on: June 13, 2011, 05:31:56 pm »
Have any of yal tried these Sunkist bees? I'm looking at replacing a couple of queens with the Sunkist Carnolans and these sound great from the aparie advertisment. What has been yals experience. Are they as good as they say or just another bee? I appreciate your responses. Thank's, Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline Buzzen

• House Bee
Re: Sunkist bees from Russell Aparies?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:52:44 pm »
Look on page 2, there is a post from a Guy that hived a couple sunkist nucs. Don't know where he got them. Has some nice pics, worth a look.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:39:42 pm »
I believe those nucs came from Russells and they were stuffed.  I have three sunkist queens I put in splits three weeks ago.  I cannot say much past they seem to be laying machines.  I thought I was so smart that I was finding them easily till it dawned on this dim bulb that all the bees in those colonies have carnie mothers and they stood out like lightbulbs!  They are now on five frames and I hope they fill at least two deeps to winter.  Dr Russell recommends that you winter them on three deeps and they will come into spring with a big population and make a pile of honey.  Just like all farming, this is a next year business and I am waiting to see myself.  He said on his website the other day he has sold 30 thousand queens so far this year.  Must be someone to recoomend or pan his product out there. 

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:08:49 am »
I am very interested in these bees but have some concern also that on bad production years like I have had so far, I got to keep on top of making sure these gals got plenty to eat. Are there disadvantages yal can think of to having to large of hives that grow to quickly? I've read one statment Dr. Russell wrote that the sunkists at least in his area have 12-16 full frames of brood in Feb. Nothing even starts blooming here till march. There is a little blooming in fall but most all our bloom is in April and May. Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:53:48 am »
Huge colony, extended forage area, high swarm threshold. They sound like super bees. Hope their all their made out to be. Brad