Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: You might be from Pennsylvania if..  (Read 4326 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
You might be from Pennsylvania if..
« on: October 20, 2007, 07:44:24 pm »
bout Pennsylvanians:

You've never referred to Philadelphia as anything but "Philly" and New Jersey has always been " Jersey "

You refer to Pennsylvania as "PA" (pronounced Pee-ay). How many other states do that?

"You guys" is a perfectly acceptable reference to a group of men & women

You know how to respond to the question "Djeetyet?" (Didyoueatyet?)

You learned to pronounce Bryn Mawr, Wilkes-Barre , Schuylkill , the Pocono's, Tamaqua, Tunkannock, Bala Cynwyd, Duquesne & Monongahela.

You know what a "Mummer" is, and are disappointed if you can't catch at least highlights of the parade.

You know what " Punxsutawney Phil" is, and what it means if he sees his shadow.

The first day of buck & the first day of doe season are school holidays.

You know how to get 'rid' of things and how to read up.

You can use the phrase "fire hall wedding reception" & not even bat an eye.

You can't go to a wedding without hearing the "Chicken Dance," at least one polka.

At least 5 people on your block have electric "candles" in all or most their windows all year long.

You know what a "Hex sign" is.

You know what a "State Store" is, and your out-of-state friends find it incredulous that you can't purchase liquor at the mini-mart.

You own only 4 condiments: salt, pepper, mustard & ketchup.

Words like "hoagie," "crick," "chipped ham," "sticky buns," "shoo-fly pie," "pierogies" & "pocketbook" actually mean something to you. That's PA slang

You can eat cold pizza (even for breakfast) and kn ow others who do the same. (Those from NY find this "barbaric.")

You not only have heard of Birch Beer, but you know it comes in several colors: Red, White, Brown, Gold.

You know several places to purchase or that serve Scrapple, Summer Sausage and Hot Bacon Dressing

You can eat a cold soft pretzel from a street vendor without fear & enjoy it. It almost always comes with mustard.

You know the difference between a cheese steak & a pizza steak sandwich, and know that you can't get a really good one outside PA. Except Atlantic City on the boardwalk.

You live for summer, when street & county fairs signal the beginning of funnel cake season.

Customers ask the waitress for "dippy eggs" for breakfast.

You know that Blue Ball, Intercourse, Paradise , Climax, Bird-in-Hand, Beaver, Moon, Virginville, Mars, and Slippery Rock are PA towns. (and the first 3 were consecutive stops on the Reading RR)

You know what a township, borough, and commonwealth is.

You can identify drivers from New York , New Jersey , or other neighboring states by their unique & irritating driving habits.

A traffic jam is 10 cars waiting to pass a horse-drawn carriage on the highway in Lancaster County .
You know several people who have hit deer more than once.

You carry jumper cables in your car & your female passengers know how to use them.

You still keep kitty litter, starting fluid, de-icer, or a snowbrush in your trunk, even if you live in the south.

Driving is always better in winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

As a kid you built snow forts and leaf piles that were taller than you were.

Your graduating class consisted of mostly Polish, German, & Italian names.

You know beer doesn't grow in a garden but you know where to find a beer garden.

You also know someone who lives "down the lane"

You actually understand all this & send it on to other Pennsylvanians or former Pennsylvanians!

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: You might be from Pennsylvania if..
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 07:58:19 pm »
These are pretty funny, but a lot of them only apply to those good ol' boys in the middle part of PA. :P
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline fcderosa

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 08:12:37 pm »
What is a dippy egg? :?
The good life is honey on a Ritz.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 08:32:20 pm »
A cooked egg with a soft yolk for dipping your toast into.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 09:39:36 pm »
>>You know several places to purchase or that serve Scrapple, Summer Sausage and Hot Bacon Dressing

All in one dish?

>>You not only have heard of Birch Beer, but you know it comes in several colors: Red, White, Brown, Gold.

I love Birch Beer, I introduced my kids to it when the family went back to DC a few years ago for my 2nd son's wedding--which was done in the Marine Barracks John Philip Sousa Concert Hall and not in a fire hall.  Fire Hall weddings are saved for those of non-denominational affilication.

>>You know that Blue Ball, Intercourse, Paradise , Climax, Bird-in-Hand, Beaver, Moon, Virginville, Mars, and Slippery Rock are PA towns. (and the first 3 were consecutive stops on the Reading RR)

Once upon a time in Ohio you could take a train any day of the week to morrow.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 10:11:44 am »
Moonshae, like you.  When we were kids our Mother prepared what she called "eggie fingers".  Soft boiled eggs in an egg cup and toast cut into slivers for dipping.  Yum, yum, lots of butter on the toast.  My Grandchildren love those days when we partake in this delicious eggie finger food!!!!  Think this is what they are going to get for breakfast today, haven't had them in a couple of months.  Great day and love our life we're livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jmsk

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 11:58:31 pm »
Yup you guys thats PA :)

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 08:07:19 am »
In college, a guy in our dorm from was from PA used to talk about "pumping iron". He was referring to the cases of "Iron City Beer" he had stashed under his bed. I think it was some kind of industrial waste...

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 05:26:12 pm »
i was in maryland in the army and used to get up into pa regularly,  ive heard or seen most of thos even though i didnt live ther, but then i did have an ancestor in the pa regulars during the icvil war
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham