Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How Cold is too cold?  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Stingtarget

• House Bee
How Cold is too cold?
« on: February 06, 2007, 09:28:26 pm »
Now that cold weather has finally gripped most of us, how cold is too cold to work a hive?  I have ordered some Bee Pro protein patties to give my bees a boost for spring build up.  Even with temperature below freezing I am told that the queen will begin laying in the winter cluster during January in my area.  Daytime highs are normally around 40 but we haven't seen that in a couple of weeks now.  I know that I left ample stores on the hive but a mild November and December causes me to worry that the bees might have consumed the stores more quickly.  Will it kill the bees if I open the hive and place the Bee Pro between the hive body and the winter super?  I know that I don't want to break the cluster.  What daytime temperature is safe to work in?  Nighttime lows have been between 7F and 13F.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How Cold is too cold?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 09:35:55 pm »
I wouldn't think twice about popping a top when it's 40 to put pollen patties on.  Of course I wouldn't mess with them otherwise.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Stingtarget

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 09:43:07 pm »
Thanks!  Straight and to the point! :)  Still laughing!

Offline Stingtarget

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 09:45:49 pm »
Michael - I've read that you sell queens.  Your infinite wisdom may help answer another of my posts on breeder queens.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 10:36:22 pm »
>Michael - I've read that you sell queens.

Yes.

> Your infinite wisdom may help answer another of my posts on breeder queens.

Wow!  Infinite?  Hardly.  But I've had a few bees for a few decades and learned a few things.

It sounds to me like you need to find a good queen breeder who isn't using chemicals.  Queens are failing at an unprecedented rate these days.

Mine usually lay well for three or four years.  I think it's the contamination in the wax from the Apistan and Checkmite.  Even if you don't USE chemicals, the wax is all contaminated, so you'll have contaminated comb from the foundation.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 01:31:27 pm »
Next night forecast is -34C to my bee yard area  (-29F) They do fine if that cold period is not weeks.
I suppose that they have not any brood now.
http://www.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/saa/paikalli.html?kunta=Kouvola

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 11:27:59 pm »
We're in a consistant trend of temps ranging from the upper 20's (F) in the day to the teens and occasional single digits at night. No end in sight. I am getting concerned about stores as they were low in Nov. All of my bees are alive - I see them frequently at the top entrance and even occasionally flying even when it's been in the 20's. The sun seems to heat the immediate environment around the hives to a higher temp. They also exhibit a healthy hum when I press my ear to the hives. Is a quick opening adisable to place a couple of fondant cakes at this point? I have been conservative so far and have fed no extra stores at all since the fall. But I'd hate to lose them this far along due to this unusally prolonged cold.