Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How high should the bee stand bee?  (Read 6952 times)

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
How high should the bee stand bee?
« on: July 17, 2015, 06:29:07 pm »
I am building a bee stand and I was wondering how high the hive should bee held off of the ground?

Plan A is 23.25" or just above kneecap height.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: How high should the bee stand bee?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 08:04:29 pm »
You can make any height you what. Just think about how high it well be when you add supers.also think about windload high winds and tall boxes don't mix well.

John

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 09:59:07 pm »
Mine sit on a pallet and I had to take 2 supers off one today because it was getting way to tall. I wouldn't want mine any higher off the ground, those full supers are hard to lift when they are already way up there.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 10:01:27 pm »
What I've seen 4x4 post (legs) 14 inches, then deck boards,on top,and then band around outside .

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:18:19 pm »
Mine sit on a pallet and I had to take 2 supers off one today because it was getting way to tall. I wouldn't want mine any higher off the ground, those full supers are hard to lift when they are already way up there.
You need a tractor with a bucket... Then you can raise yourself... Or have your wife raise you and then you can always be at a good height... Or... You can take my approach and use horizontal hives so it doesn't get tall.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 10:51:12 pm »
Flyboy,
You want the hives off the ground enough to provide a little air flow and not have too much ground moisture saturating the hive but you do not want to bee any higher than absolutely necessary due to handling the supers. If you have skunks, you need the entrance high enough to raise the skunks belly up so the bees can get access to it. If a skunk can keep his belly on the ground the bees cannot get access it to run the skunk off.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 12:46:01 am »
If you were in Northern Australia you need to 18 inches off the ground to stop the Cane Toads eating them. But then the toads have been known to build a pyramid of themselves to get high enough for a feed. But that and insect eating birds are our only problem animals.
David L

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 12:53:22 am »
If you were in Northern Australia you need to 18 inches off the ground to stop the Cane Toads eating them. But then the toads have been known to build a pyramid of themselves to get high enough for a feed. But that and insect eating birds are our only problem animals.

Wow 10 - 15 cm long is a fair sized frog!
Cheers
Al

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 12:32:22 pm »
I started with 2 8"cinder blocks side by side so that my hives were 8" off of the ground and plenty of air flow. In fact in my area, just east of the mountains, there was to much wind (I have all screened bottom boards). I designed a simple stand using 2"x 8" lumber to make my stand. Two of the sides have several large holes cut/drilled into the sides that have screens, to keep ants and other crawling things out, but the holes allow for an updraft without wind gusts. My loses have dropped significantly since I switched to these bases but I credit the gains to cutting back on the strong winds that go through my hives, not necessary to my design. A word of caution, this stand works well for me but if you do not have regular winds you might be just as well with the cinder blocks.  -Mike 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:41:08 pm by mikecva »
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 02:45:23 pm »
My brood boxes rest on 2x8 lumber placed on cinder blocks.  That puts them high enough to work on without back pain while sitting on a box and low enough to keep med. supers at a reasonable height. 
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 11:42:08 am »
X2
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 12:58:29 pm »
I often see hives sitting on 2-4x4's that are on a single cinder block on each end of the strand. Our club has 4 hives on this type of stand. I cringe every time I see it. As the hives get taller they can easily fall forward or backwards. I place 2 separate cinder blocks on each end of the boards. I space them so that the front of the hive is resting just forward of the hive body, under the landing board, and the back is about one inch forward of the back of the hive body. I do the back this way so that I can lift the back with just my finger tips to see how heavy the hives are. I try to keep the spacing the same for all of my hives to keep the balance standard for feeling the weight of the hives.
Hope this helps.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 01:22:06 pm »
One 2x4 each to make my stands.  I run SBBs and I can slide a piece of plywood under to close off the bottom during the occasional Florida cold snap, or a pan of veggy oil for SHBs.  Patio blocks keep the grass down.

:cool:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 04:42:15 pm »
Mine are all 3 1/2".  I'd go lower but then the bottom board would rot...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#hivestand
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 06:46:53 pm »
I work my colonies sitting down, so my stands are 8 to 12 inches high.  This puts the top of the box at a comfortable height for me to remove and replace frames.  I break the deeps that form the brood chamber apart and place them on individual work stands, then work each one separately.  Once the honey supers are on I do no inspections other than to arrange frames in the supers.  My honey flow is usually worth no more than 2 or 3 mediums and I can reach that high to remove them when harvesting or removing to give to colonies for food stores.

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 08:05:53 pm »
Wow lots of great ideas.

I just realized that I did not mention that the main reason for building the stand is that we get a lot of rain during the winter and the main idea was to make a roof over the hives. Last winter I lost one hive to what I am guessing was water damage. The hive I moved under my patio (where it is dry) came out of the winter very strong. We don't really get any snow in the winter. None last winter.
Cheers
Al

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 09:34:05 pm »
I don't like to bend over much in the summer I use long horizontal hives about waist high then in the late fall I stack split boxes so I have 2 colonies right next to each other for warmth. Eventually I want to try splitting frames and splitting a box into quadrants. The problem is figuring out how to make mating nuc frames work in a regular box.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 10:06:40 pm »
I sit on a toolbox to work the hives.  When I put them on tall stand they all blow over in the wind and the supers are put on with a step ladder...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 10:29:10 pm »
One 2x4 each to make my stands.  I run SBBs and I can slide a piece of plywood under to close off the bottom during the occasional Florida cold snap, or a pan of veggy oil for SHBs.  Patio blocks keep the grass down.

Like your idea- been trying to work out how to use vented bottom boards and catch SHB lava - my current setup with small oil traps under seem to trap as many lava as SHB adults so looking for ways to expand into vented bottom boards without loosing the grubs.Thanks.

PS My stands are 1.5 to 1.8 meters long to accommodate two hives - one each end with room enough in the middle to set the lid upside down and box you are taking off to work the one under
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:53:07 pm by Wombat2 »
David L

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 03:46:36 pm »
Sundog, how do you keep bees out of the pan? 

Nice looking setup.  I had been wondering how to get a pan under my SBB.  I have one SBB with a built-in pan.  I use mineral oil, so it never gets rancid.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 05:33:52 pm »
Sundog, how do you keep bees out of the pan?

Number 8 hardware cloth formed over the top of the pan.  Haven't drowned a bee yet.  Every couple of weeks I strain out the SHB and other debris, rinse out the brownie pans and replace what bit of oil evaporated.  Haven't noticed any rancidity.

Good luck with your beetles.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 11:00:01 pm »
Good thinking.  Thanx.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 10:46:43 am »
I sit on a toolbox to work the hives.  When I put them on tall stand they all blow over in the wind and the supers are put on with a step ladder...
You probably get a lot more wind than I do and I also have my bees protected from most of the wind we do get.

anything