Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Old interesting article on Hens protecting Bees  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
Old interesting article on Hens protecting Bees
« on: December 19, 2008, 04:13:47 pm »
I thought this was interesting. I love the ingenuitive spirit and mind.

"HENS MADE TO PROTECT BEES. - A bee raiser has patented an invention for the protection of bees from the attacks of the honey bee moth, which enters the hives at night, and rifles the stores.... Hens, he observed, retire to rest early; but bees seek repose earlier still; no sooner are they sunk into slumber, than the moths steals into their abode and devours the produce of their toil. He has now built a stand of hives with a hen house connected. The bees first betake themselves to their dwelling and settle themselves for the night. The hens then come home to roost on their perch, and as they take their places upon it, their weight sets some simple mechanism to work, which at once shuts down the doors of all the hives. When the day dawns, however, the hens leave their roost, and the removal of their weight from the perch raises the hive doors, and gives egress to the bees in time for their morning's work."

I would like to see a pic of this thing!!
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
Re: Old interesting article on Hens protecting Bees
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 05:18:36 pm »
I haven't heard of the honey bee moth...are they talking about wax moth?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 01:08:05 pm »
tlynn.  I am going to look up a post here that Abejaruco spoke about the bee moth in, it was quite some time ago, but it was very interesting.  I am not sure if it is the wax moth or not, anyways, I am on a search.  I will make another post when I find it.  Have that wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 01:11:23 pm »
Here is an interesting post made by Abejaruco, entitled the "war song".

It would appear this moth emits a sound, just like the piping of the queen, that causes the worker bees to freeze, the moth comes in and eats the food, the bees don't do a thing.  Interesting.  Have a wonderful and most awesome life, day, health.  Cindi

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,11478.0.html
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything