Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Slow Internet speeds  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Slow Internet speeds
« on: November 04, 2009, 06:05:24 pm »
I upgraded to 10mb down about 6 months ago and have never seen those speeds. I once got almost 8 but lost that. I now get about 2mb down and 560k up, suppose to be 750k. I have had the ISP over numerous times and they say they dont know what the problem is and can only get me 6 at best. I am now getting 2mb at best usually not any beter than dial up. Checked for antivirus, checked for malware, tried turing off firewall and still nothing. Computer is new as already posted in another post. Any ideas that the techs dont know about?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Slow Internet speeds
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 06:28:56 pm »
is it DSL?

you can get some bad bleed off with DSL if you don't have good phone wire and if you have to many phones.  i had to take out my barn phone and replace my phone wiring to get good speed on mine.  also, the shorter the line between you box and modem, the better your chances of having better speed.

if your stuff is good, your phone company may have bad lines or be using old equipment.  verizon ended up upgrading almost everything out here because they sold DSL to the businesses in town, but were not providing good service.  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:58:45 pm by kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 06:54:01 pm »
Sorry I guess I should have siad it was DSL. The techs said they put a filter on the outside of the house and the phones should not be a problem. They "pinged" the line outside the house and got the 10mb. They "pinged" from where the modem is at and got 10mb. However, when doing the speedtest using my computer or their laptop they bring we only get the slow speeds. The techs here are great and honest so Im not really sure what the problem is. I called the cabel company because they are offering 15mb down and 1mb up for only $6 more than what I am paying for my "10mb" whcih is only 2mb. They do not guarantee a speed but said I should be around 14mb down. I called the DSL provider back and told them I am still having slow speeds and they were going to check on it. I told them to go ahead and cancel my service because they are not provided me with what I am paying for.

I was looking at my ethernet card and was tring to see if there is something that can be enabled to allow faster speeds. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 07:02:28 pm »
if you don't get the cable for some reason,  you may want to consider changing out your modem.  your DSL provider probably included the modem and they should swap it out for you if you ask them to.  you may also want to replace your cable from modem to computer.

try undoing your other phones and also checking that your other phones have good lines.  no breaks or corrosion.  you should have a filter between each phone and the line, not just to your house.  i would be willing to bet that you have a corroded connection, bared wire, or bad filter somewhere on your phone lines.

it doesn't take much to mess up DSL speeds.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:14:40 pm »
If they tested 10mb at your jack but lower speeds through the modem then the trouble isn't with the dsl connection.  The test equipment used measures connection speed to the DSLAM in the Central Office but not to the internet.

@Kathyp If they put a filter in the network interface connected a home run to the jack that the modem is plugged into you DO NOT need filters on the individual phones.  They won't hurt anything, but they won't help either.

The trouble is most likely one of two or so things.  Either you do have a bad modem, which would explain why the signal at the jack test good but speed tests from your computer don't.  Did the tech's compare the test with their own laptop or just use your equipment?  Do you have anything connected between the modem and your computer, ie a router of some sort?  The second possibility is that there is a trouble a congestion problem in the backbone "pipe" the the DSLAM uses to get back to the internet.  Unfortunately the local techs won't have access to information about such troubles.  Even the support techs they call for help may not be aware of them.

The way I would check it is to run a tracert to a web address and look for an excessively long hop time.  That might give you a rough idea where the bottleneck is.

Adam
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:00:58 am »
Shawn:

The advertised speed is on the ISP network, in other words, from your connection to theirs (DSLAM). Usually they will provide an FTP server for you to upload/download test files to calculate your speed. Once you leave the ISP network, you are at the mercy of the internet and the speeds will vary. But I would do the test server thingy first, that will at least tell you if you are having issues.

Also there is the distance factor and a "db" rating. Did the techs put their "meter" on your line? This will tell if you are having an attenuation problem relating to the connection from your house to the DSLAM.  I've had DSL since April 01 (commercial and residential DSL) and I've had issues in the past with the "green box" connection of my DSL.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 07:02:19 pm »
Ok here it goes. I was told by the DSL tech yesterday that I have to live within 7000 feet of the office to get close to teh 10mb. You have to live within 9000 feet to get close to 6. I was at the 3 range but going down fast. I talked to lots of other customers and found they are getting very slow speeds also. I switched over to cable and WOW! Speakeasy test to Dallas, Chicago, and Washington DC I was getting 16mb. YEA  :-D  :-D. I was told it will go down during high traffic but the slowest speeds I saw last night were in the high 8's. Lots better.

My complaint now is I paid for teh 10mb down for the past 8 months because they said I could get it. The stories changed over time and said I would get from 6 to 10. Not getting even 3mb I was still expected to pay the full price  :evil:

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:37:03 pm »
Shawn not to get to personal, but if they did not even provide you with the min. stated speed that you paid for, is it possible that you may have charged the fee on a credit card ? If so I would call the credit card co. and file a complaint exercising your credit card protection act that protects consumers. They may be forced to negotiate and and you could recoup at least some of your loss.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 05:49:42 am »
Sparky...
I've never seen the ISP's state a minimum speed, they always advertise it as speeds "up to ___ speeds". This way, they never have to give a refund for slower than advertised speeds.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 08:00:05 pm »
They do say "up to 10mb" however they did say the least amount I should be getting is 6mb. Problem is left hand does nto know what the right hand is doing. The people on the phone can say one thing but the techs in the field know what the truth is. I will call to see what they say and go on with life. Right now life is good.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 12:18:03 pm »
I'm getting 54.0 Mbps is that fast
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 04:28:48 pm »
Not sure Irwin. I believe there is a difference between bytes to megabytes. I think the highest Internet Internet download is close to 32mb.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 11:21:47 pm »
With cable mine says 54.0 Mbps just like Irwins did

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 08:25:18 am »
Forgot to say I'm on cable like Annette
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 09:04:27 am »
I'm getting 54.0 Mbps is that fast

Depends...  What are you using to measure it?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 10:17:58 am »

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 10:28:28 am »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 09:30:02 pm »
54mb is unlikely as an internet connection speed.  It is however exactly how fast your wireless-g router will connect to a wireless laptop at.  In order to measure your throughput you have to use a remote ftp server to test your connection.  Like the one Robo linked or www.speakeasy.net.  I used to like www.internetfrog.com but I think they are having trouble because lately they give lousy measurement compared to other sites.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams