Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Christmas Eve Pollen frenzy  (Read 2731 times)

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Christmas Eve Pollen frenzy
« on: December 24, 2009, 05:31:36 pm »
 Ok so I get home today early from work (since they let us go at 2pm), checked on the hives and it looked like a swarm was occurring. Of course it wasn't.... not in December (unless you are down under!). But it was 67°F outside and the "swarm" were the bees in the holding pattern, waiting their turn to land with their stores of pollen!! It was really crazy... by the time I grabbed the camera to take a video, the pack of bees in the air had thinned out some so I just got some footage of them landing and trying to enter the hive.

The video was actually Part II, since the bees were checking me and my funny looking camera out, there were about 30 or so on my hand and the camera.... so I shook a little bit. You can still see many bees on the left side of the picture as the left me and crawled towards the entrance.

The video is only 320x200 (a tad bit out of focus for some reason), shot by my old 3.2 megapix camera, not great but my helmet cam video came out alittle dark so I resorted to the digital camera video mode.

U Tube Video Here

A movie maker I'm not.... got to work with Windows Movie Maker (1st time trying it).

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: Christmas Eve Pollen frenzy
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 07:26:23 pm »
Nice vid!
That's the way they were here in S. Central Alabama few days ago.
The weather here has been crazy lately.  Rain for about four days, followed by couple warm days, then couple cold days, and then it starts all over.  For those couple of warm days they work like heck to bring in the pollen. :bee: :bee: :bee:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 12:17:17 am by HAB »

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:57:08 pm »
Great video my bees did good the other day but now it;s 36F so they are inside :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 12:33:54 pm »
Thanks Irwin... I really do need to get a decent video camera. Hopefully I'll take some vids when I do some splits in the spring.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 07:53:29 pm »
YOU BETTER OR ELSE  :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

anything