Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oregon beekeeper joins the ranks  (Read 2888 times)

Offline SerenityApiaries

• House Bee
    • Swarm List - West Coast Beekeepers
Oregon beekeeper joins the ranks
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:06:38 am »
I have been hobby beekeeping with my single colony for over a year now. It has become such a passion that I think it best for me to get out of restaurant management and bee a beek full time. This year I look forward to expanding my apiary to an additional 10 purchased colonies as well as swarms I may collect this season. With all I have read, I could probably look forward to having up 25 colonies by the end of this season. I just did my first cutout the other day and it was definitely an experience I enjoyed. The bees were located in a chimney and I had to remove bricks to get to them. So now I have 2 colonies with 10 more coming. So very exciting. I also found out that a local college is offering a Master Beekeeper program which I plan to go through. So much to do, so little time. lol.  Look forward to meeting everyone here.

Khalen
Check out West Coast Beekeepers on FB. A great place for Beekeepers along the west coast of America. All are welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/westcoastbeekeepers

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Oregon beekeeper joins the ranks
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 12:30:57 pm »

Welcome to the site, good luck with your bees.  You may want to check into a local club also.  The college course sounds good.

Joe

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 12:47:49 pm »
Hello Khalen,

Welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you have bee fever and there is no shame in that.  I've had it for 20 years.  Apparently there's no cure. :)  It great to hear from a new beekeeper with your enthusiasm for bees.  Good luck with your intentions of expanding your operation.  There are some friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people here.  I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Ted

Offline SerenityApiaries

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:51:11 am »
Thanks Joe And Ted.

As it happens I will be joining the state Association here. And the funny thing is that the neighbor across the hwy from me who is also a beekeeper said the exact same thing about me having bee fever. lol, Don't mind if I do. I have managed to get myself on at least 8 local swarm lists so that should help and I have been doing a ton of online research over this last winter to be ready for this season. My wife thinks I'm crazy but she understands that its something I enjoy. And its a great educating opportunity for others as well. So many people out there that fear bees end up asking me questions and I am able to get them excited about bees too lol.
Check out West Coast Beekeepers on FB. A great place for Beekeepers along the west coast of America. All are welcome.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:49:40 am »
Welcome to the forum Khalen. You'll find tons of info here. The search function will answer most of your questions. The rest, just ask away. Enjoy!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 05:39:59 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 05:47:10 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:48:36 pm »
This is a great place to be Khalen to get all the help you will need. I hope your wife turns around and ends up helping you.

My husband doesn't go near the bees, although he is happy I am doing this.

Have fun and good luck

Annette

Offline SerenityApiaries

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 03:15:13 am »
Thanks tefer2, AllenF, JP, And Miss Annette :) I look forward to learning what I can from each of you. And Miss Annette, Its not that my wife doesn't enjoy it, she just doesn't have the fever like I do. She helped me with my first cutout and I hope to have her filming any others that I do. Also, the red umbrella.. :) Love it.

Khalen

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 01:57:41 am »
Thanks Khalen.

That photo was taken around 2006 when I started my beekeeping adventure. Somehow I feel that it doesn't really represent me anymore because I am older now. Also JP has my umbrella now. But people really seem to love that umbrella. Doesn't JP look wonderful when he holds it?? It was a gift I gave to him when I visited him in New Orleans 2 years ago.

I have started getting lots of swarm calls and have been passing them on to other beekeepers who really want them. All my hives came through the winter looking very strong so I am not interested in any more than the 4 I have now.

Take care and have fun.
Annette

Offline SerenityApiaries

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 04:34:48 am »
 :) It is a very fancy umbrella. And JP seems to enjoy it every chance he gets, unless Schawee has stolen it from him.  :-D I think some of his viewers are calling for the trademark red umbrella on his vids now. lol Have fun this season. I'm looking forward to swarms and cutouts this year.

Khalen

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 08:30:23 am »
Welcome to the site!

anything