Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: whats your winter like?  (Read 12466 times)

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
whats your winter like?
« on: January 30, 2005, 04:25:32 pm »
My winter is mild and is only 3 months. I am happy about that due to I am not the best at waiting long periods of time, lol. We get a nice snow fall to ride four wheelers and snowmobiles and we build snow men and make snow angels. After a long day in the snow we go in and sit by the fire and drink home made hot cocoa. So what is yours like???
Ryan Horn

Violacea

whats your winter like?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 05:16:10 pm »
It's icky.   :P  Fall is really short here.  Our frost starts in October and goes to mid April, we’re heading out of it, I hope, shouldn't see temps below 20 again this winter.  It gets cold for about a month (December/January), -20F ish to 0F ish, and we ALWAYS have wind.  And then it will be like it is now, 30F ish to 40F ish, (which is really nice you only have to ware one set of clothes) :D then slowly warm up again. There is more physical labor to be done in the winter then in the summer, which I like, especially because the ground is too icky to ride on.    Our big snow this year was 14 inches, not too bad, it's pretty much gone though, and we're getting a fresh light dusting now.  And of course, the bugs move in.  :shock:  I don't know why they just won't die.  :roll:

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
winter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 05:36:43 pm »
We don't have much of a winter sometimes cold a little sometimes rain
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
whats your winter like?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 05:54:18 pm »
It varies a lot from year to year.
This year was very mild a couple of weeks of cold weather, otherwise in the 40s to 50s. Last winter was cold so was the winter before that.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
whats your winter like?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 07:10:25 pm »
same for us rog, it varies but this winter it is mild. My dad says it used to snow by feet, now those times are gone and we get inches. The most snow we had this year in one setting was prob. 8 inches.
Ryan Horn

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
whats your winter like?
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 07:21:51 pm »
This year is pretty mild here to. We had a couple of snow days, and one really bad freezing rain storm. One day it got to 1.6 F. I think spring is starting. :lol:
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
whats your winter like?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 08:55:55 pm »
funny buzz :lol:
Ryan Horn

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Cold Winters, lots of snow
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 05:58:39 pm »
Our growing season is actually shorter than Nebraska's. We get frost up until around Memorial Day, so I start most of my plants indoors. All the tomatoes get started inside and live on artificial light until Mid-May when I start hardening them off to get planted by Memorial Day.

Winter is cold here. Usually in the mid-30's but always in January we get 1-2 weeks of 0 to -5 with wind chills of -40 or so.  There is always at least one huge snow storm, last one for us was 33 inches.  We get "ocean effect" snow, similar to lake effect snow in Michigan. Basically the snow hits the ocean, then stalls and takes moisture and comes back on us from the coast for several hours. Today is warm, I could go out without a hat and gloves for more than 5 minutes  :?

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
whats your winter like?
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 06:04:59 pm »
lol, guess what, it is snowing here again, adding to are 5 inches, dont know how much we are gonna get this time but I hope it isnt much, bye
Ryan Horn

pumpkinpiper

re
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 12:29:32 pm »
overall our winter this year has been fairly mild here in northern Minnesota. Late December/January tend to be worst. We've had maybe 15 days of -10 or more(lowest was -44), but thats not to bad as long as it only lasts a week or so. Us norweigns, sit home and eat lefse and lutafisk when it gets to cold(we call it 1 tee shirt weather here) Steve

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
whats your winter like?
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 12:31:19 pm »
Today we have the snow. Coming down pretty good too.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
whats your winter like?
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 08:07:46 pm »
it is suppose to get warm here for the next few days but then get back to the freezing weather it is right now, bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
whats your winter like?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 11:42:32 pm »
We've also had a very mild winter. I like it that way. I haven't kept track of the temps, but it's hardly felt like winter at all.

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
whats your winter like?
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 11:47:31 pm »
Tonight was as cold as a well diggers @$$ in alaska. My face burnt so bad when comming in after feeding. I cant wait for this warm spell we are suppose to get, bye
Ryan Horn

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
whats your winter like?
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 10:01:15 pm »
It is too cold and too snowy.  This year it is tooooooooo long.

Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
whats your winter like?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 02:41:19 am »
I know you dont want to here this but that looks so funny, sorry, bye :)
Ryan Horn

Offline jill

• New Bee
    • http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M9122
factoids: cold, very...
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 01:20:05 pm »
people can walk on water, and yes, there is a such thing as minus 0 degrees, but we do live in regular houses, not in igloos here in MN.  It is not true that I will ever "get used to it". One year we had a garden covered with clear ice suddenly...while it made some very cool pictures, very few of the plants survived.

Offline kensfarm

• House Bee
Re: whats your winter like?
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 02:55:14 pm »
Sometime it's best to just stay inside... 

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 05:51:58 pm »
It's amazing how long this topic has been around - I see people posted here that have been AWOL for a long time, I hope they are all well.

New Jersey is intersting, we sometimes catch the Gulf Stream and others it is forced away by Canadian Clippers and hi/low fronts. We start colder days in Mid October and it comes on pretty quick, within 30 days it is fairly Winterlike many years but often we are fine into mid-November.

It tends to be overcast and in the low low teens (f) much of the Winter with a few cold spells keeping us at zero for a week or two at a time. Spring in always a coin toss, you never know if you'll see it starting up in March or May - it makes you wonder where April went sometimes.

We also are near sea-level (at least where I am) and we have heavy Fall and Spring fog issues that can come every evening and stay until nearly 10am before breaking. Last year I truly believe that my hives were lost due to the combination of heavy fog and humidity and huge temperature swings into late Spring.

My hives were still holding a good 30+ pounds of honey each and on good days flying in great number - then BAM they all seemed to kick the bucket within a few short days of each other. All looked good with the bee bodies, no visible infestation on them, in the comb or hive bodies. It just seems they couldn't shake the chill of the 100% humidity of fog, heavy winds and varying temperatures.

Lastly, Summers generally run in the high 80s-mid 90s with spells of 100+ lasting a week or two at a time. Honestly, I think most of this reflects a huge part of the country along the mid-coastal states. But it always makes for interesting beekeeping BECAUSE when the weather works out, you can really have bumper harvest of nectar and pollen flows.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 12:02:16 am »
Winter 96     till I find some of my other pictures. Sometimes winters are pretty dry in central PA