Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what to do with all these cedar trees.  (Read 13916 times)

Offline bobby

• New Bee
what to do with all these cedar trees.
« on: December 06, 2005, 10:09:51 pm »
hello,  i'm trying to figure out what i need to do. i have 13 acres of pretty much solid cedar trees, they are mostly about 5 inch round. the people i talked to at the saw mill will only give $1.25 a peice. i even thought about buying a portable saw mill, but i'm not sure. i'm gonna have the land cleared with a bulldozer in a year or so. i'd hate to just push them up and burn them. any good ideas would be appreciated.

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 10:36:20 pm »
For Christmas time a lot places sell cedar roping for decorating around the house.  Can some one use them for this.  it's like a $45 for 10 yards of cedar roping.   A lot better than $1.25 a tree.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 02:57:07 am »
What is/are cedar roping?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 07:40:49 am »
They make nice fence posts and nice Christmas trees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 08:52:12 am »
Quote from: leominsterbeeman
For Christmas time a lot places sell cedar roping for decorating around the house.  Can some one use them for this.  it's like a $45 for 10 yards of cedar roping.   A lot better than $1.25 a tree.

I also would like to know what "cedar roping" is??
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 09:20:31 am »
If I have to guess, I think it's probably similar to pine roping, where the parts of the branch with the foliage is taken off and attached together to make a "rope" or garland that can be used to decorate mantels, door frames, fences, etc. . .

Is that correct Michael?

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 08:32:23 pm »
Quote from: qa33010
What is/are cedar roping?

Cedar Roping
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline bobby

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 10:07:25 pm »
good ideas, but i'm not very good at crafts and such. the sapwood on fence posts would rot in the ground, and they would be loose. i would rather come up with a million dollar idea to make enough money to buy me some treated posts for a fence. i thoght today about buying a used sawmill and lathe. and making walking sticks and maybe some smaller items like bird feeders or something. thanks for the ideas ,keep'em coming.

Offline TREBOR

• House Bee
    • The Cynical Bastards
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 12:07:30 am »
cut them into 8 foot lengths stack'em up
put an ad in the local paper for 5 bucks ea.
 when someone calls tell them you'll reduce the price
if they buy them all

or

fence posts!

Offline fuzzybeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 05:43:46 pm »
Bobby,

I don't know about Tenn, but here in Texas cedar posts hold up LOTS of miles of barbed wire.  Fences made out of cedar posts last 50 years.  I have never seen one rot in the ground.  The "sap" is what preserves them.  We have truckloads of cedar posts and no end in site.

Believe me, if someone could find a good use for cedar trees, they could make more than a million.

Are you near a metropolitan area?  Talk to a nursery and see if you can set up a "split rail" TYPE of fence made out of ceder posts.  Don't split them, but like a split rail.  Straight or zigzag them.  The city folks like that country type look.  Give them a commission on what they can sell.  Try talking to landscapers.

Just a few ideas from a state that has just as many cedar trees as you do.  In fact, when I was a kid we called the folkes who lived in the hills "cedar choppers" cause that's what they did for a living!

Fuzzybeekeeper

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 01:52:45 pm »
Back to cedar roping.    I've been away for a while.  It is just as Amy describes.    Now that it's January,  the demand will be less, but you could get ready to sell it by next November.

If you want a picture.  Try this:

1.  Go to google.com
2. Select Images
3.  Type "Cedar Roping" in the box and low and behold many
  pictures of Cedar Roping.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 04:25:06 pm »
Sell them as grilling planks.   They get like $15 for a 1x6x12 for grilling fish.  Just come up with some creative marketing and you could be rich.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Tito

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 06:01:40 pm »
you can turn it into kinling wood and sell it on ebay -or- you could list the wood on ebay for pen blanks and crafts.  I bet you will be surprised by the response you get.

Offline billruble

• New Bee
jewelry boxes
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 07:42:28 pm »
I made hundreds of jewelry boxes out of cedar and also some cedar chests.  Of course, I did have a small shop that I worked in full time and that helped lots.

I even made some beach chaires out of cedar, but they were not as nice as the oak ones.   I'd love to have some of those if I were closer to you, but I am in Iowa.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Bill

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
blowing off steam
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 09:11:30 pm »
I've been lurking because I have the same "problem".  Cedar fence post do rot in damp ground (here in the NE USA)  I have 5" posts that were put in the ground summer 1994 and stand only because the grape vines hold them up.  Come on people, someone on the planet must know what to do with medium sized cedar :cry: .  Young, that is less that 6' can be cut for oil, I spent many summers doing that.  > 6" perhaps lumbar if you can find it not split, 3" - 5" posts and rails.  Strangley (sp?) enouph my son, age 10, asked :shock: to spend some time cutting out cedar brush "up at the farm" for fun this summer.  If he was my neighbor I could charge him :roll: and create a camp for city kids.  It could be like the old time "hop picking" vacations the rich folks used to take here in NY.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 02:43:39 am »
Are they too small for lumber for small projects (ie... knick-knack shadow boards, doll houses and furniture, small chests for young ladies and little girls, cutout christmas or other seasonal ornaments...ect)?  Or are they too large for that, or do you need special equipment to cut it or plane it down for cutting?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 12:42:07 am »
Actually, cedar is very rot resistant. It  would make great fence posts.   As for buning, it has alot of tar and therefore alot of creosote.  Best bet would be to save some for yourself, sell it if you think it may be worth it, but most of it will probably be burned.  I've cleared a few lots that were covered in cedar like you descibe.
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato

Offline queenb64

• New Bee
CEDAR TREES,
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 07:50:41 pm »
WE USE THEM FOR FENCES, SHEDS, WE EVEN LAY THEM ALONG THE CHICKEN WIRE FENCE AND NAIL THE FENCE TO THE CEDAR, KEEPS THE FENCE  SECURE AND ANYTHING FROM PUSHING IT UP, NEXT WE WILL MAKE A DECK OUT OF THEM. ALSO USED THEM AROUND THE DOG  YARD AND THE PIG YARD. WE BELIEVE IN USING  WHAT WE CAN, AND SPEND LESS.
"if you can dish it out, you better be able to take it"

Offline KingBeeApiary

• New Bee
    • King Bee Apiary
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 12:58:57 pm »
I'd buy the portable sawmill and build hives out of them.Plus sell some extra to the mills.
I work in a custom millwork shop and we use cedar all the time and it does bring a hefty price.
I would not waste this material,if you don't want the hassel of cutting it then please find someone that will and not waste it.
Yes you may call me a tree hugger of sorts.I'm an asst. Scoutmastr for a local troop,I'm a trained Leave no trace trainer and an avid hiker/camper.
But also a realist.
If you build it , they will comb it !!

Offline hiptfarms

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 10:26:19 pm »
Cut them into fence posts and treat the bottoms with a preservative like creosote, salt, or linseed oil.  They won't last forever but they will outlast CCA treated posts.  

Another option - use them for for teepee posts.  They also are bendable and make good sweatlodge uprights.  

You could rent a chipper/shredder and make dog bedding fill material and mulch for landscaping.

BEST ADVICE - cut in the winter.  They will last longer as posts and you won't itch nearly as much.  Good luck!

anything