Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Crash course  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Crash course
« on: July 21, 2006, 06:49:49 am »
I recently had a young man run off the road and take out the power pole and a tree across the street from my house.  I live on the edge of town on a back road and too many people make it a habit of coming into town at a high rate of speed.  They sometimes loose control and boom, the lights go out.
We (Me, my wife, & my son) were the 1st on the scene.  My son went to school with the driver.  It hit him pretty hard to try to rescue someone only to find out he knew the person.  I told him I knew how he felt, I'd had to do it a lot when I was a cop.
The power was out and all the chicken eggs I had in my incubator have died as a result--they were supposed to have hatched yesterday.  :(

The drivers ok, by which I mean he survived the accident.  He will probably be crippled for the rest of his life--I know how that is also so all I can do is pray for him.  

The moral of the story is: Don't drink and Drive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Crash course
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:37:54 am »
that sucks about your incubating eggs. you have no broody hens?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
Crash course
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 10:00:31 am »
I thought I had one but after a few days she got of the nest--ended up throwing out 15 eggs.  Tried it again and same results although she might have sat for a full week that time.  Threw out another dozen eggs.  Decided to resort to the incubator.  hatched 17 to replaced my aging layers and then decided to raise some fryers.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
Crash course
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 03:20:15 pm »
That is awful, both the driver and the chicks.  I live rural as well.  We have a small solar panel that will run several items for a day or two off of a battery. When I say 'several items' I mean the fridge, a radio and  maybe a hair dryer...  How many eggs did you have?
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
Crash course
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 01:33:24 am »
I know, my Dad, while he was still alive installed a Honda generator in the garage because this happens so often here on the stretch of road in front of my house.  

Guess what I couldn't get to because of all the overflow of furniture and fixtures from combining the contents of 2 households were stacked infront of.  Moving some of the stuff is beyond my capabilites--I find it very hard to wrestle a dresser or bookcase from a wheelchair.  So the solution waits until others get around to moving enough things so I can get to the generator.

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Crash course
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 01:13:25 am »
Summerbee, I would love to hear more about your solar panel....
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Crash course
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 12:16:20 pm »
i dont mean to speak for summerbee but i would guess that theres a battery hooked up to an inverter and the battery is charged with the solar panel.
small inverters are not expensive.
you can run them off of your car battery if you need to and then charge the battery by running your car.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Crash course
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 05:09:03 pm »
I have used ducks to brood eggs, they do it better and take better care of the ckicks when hatched.
Ryan Horn

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Crash course
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 02:46:38 am »
We had a blind turn just before a railroad crossing just off our property in Montevideo.  Constantly had wrecks, mainly in the morning, and the tree never moved and the train moved for quite awhile after a wreck.  It was not uncommon for us to witness a death or maiming before school at least once a year, seemed like more...

When I was a kid we had 500-1000 cornish and leghorn chicks shipped to us every year.  Mom had plenty of egg money and we worked our tails off once a year dressing chickens  :shock: .  My brothers decided to pull some of the chicks, on the sly, and set up their own chicken house.  They let me in after I caught them building and kidnapping the first ten chicks.  We couldn't tell the difference until they were older, but we found that with the roosters the leghorns laid great and the cornish made outstanding cluck hens.  The leghorns were more of a lay 'em and leave 'em.  One did turn to a pretty good cluck hen but that was it.  By the time we were caught we had a pretty good self sustaining crop.  Mom was both hacked off  :oops:  and proud.  My brothers had a great plan.

I also learned how to save duck and goose eggs kicked out of the nest and hatch them in the oven.   It was cool teaching them how to fly. 8)

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Crash course
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 02:57:03 am »
yaw know what, do they have any organic eggs, suppose I built a fence around my land and picked up eggs every day, think I could get about $10 BUCKS A DOZEN????? ;) ,,, EGGS straight from the dirt............
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
Crash course
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 03:35:55 am »
Not having any ducks yet i can't use them for step mothers but I'm hoping to get some Khaki Campbells.
My grandmother use to use german banties for hatching chicks--those little hens looked very funny with big Road Island Reds and Barred Rocks running around after her.  I don't have any banties either--another I want.
I inherited 1 Light Brahma Rooster and 4 Buff Orpington hens and I'm trying to grow enough chickens so I can raise replacement layers and fryers on an as needed basis.  I already hatched a batch that are now 2 months old and was so looking forward to the nex batch.

BTW, some places sell hatching eggs for as much as $40.00 a dozen depending on breed.