Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rust on apple trees aka. cedar rust problem  (Read 2451 times)

Offline vabeeguy

• New Bee
Rust on apple trees aka. cedar rust problem
« on: November 20, 2006, 06:50:24 pm »
Does anyone know the best way to treat this problem, my trees are going into thier 5th year and were 3 year trees when I planted. I have the bees to consider also. The trees develop blotches on the leaves and rust colored fuzz on the fruit which it seems to deform. This is the only problem I have with trees, all other fruit types are healthy and bearing well.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Rust on apple trees aka. cedar rust problem
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 10:47:25 pm »
It is called (Locally at least) Apple scab, and is also found on pear trees.  My father use to use a dust that he sprayed on the trees to prevent it but I don't remember what it was.  I'm hoping that over the next few years As I get into every last nook and cranny that I find some.  It's really surprizing what I've been finding around here since my parents died.
It usually falls in to one or two catagories: Heirlooms or junk and usually both.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline mark

• House Bee
Re: Rust on apple trees aka. cedar rust problem
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 08:40:45 pm »
cedar apple rust occurs in cool damp weather and can be treated with copper dust or copper soap (ie. soap shield available @ gardens alive ).  scab occurs in warm damp weather and sulpher is used to treat.  both require fallen debris to be removed to prevent reinfection