Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: watermelon pic's  (Read 6541 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
watermelon pic's
« on: November 30, 2006, 12:29:47 am »
I had 10 acres of these melons. They are black diamonds and average weight was 70 #'s. We had no rain from march to june and they still got this big.  I also had 10 acres of crimson and 10  of jublee's.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: watermelon pic's
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:57:44 am »
Wow, nice watermelons, I would love to get my hands on one like those.  I love the watermelons, there is nothing more lucious in summertime than to sit and eat these, spitting out the black seeds everywhere where I will not get into trouble for it (LOL).  I love the original melons that have the fabulous black seeds, I find that the "seedless" are pretty convenient, but alas, just plain and simply do not possess the same sweetness and "TEXTURE" of the old fashioned seedy type.  Oh for the summertime and the melons.  I did grow some once, but they took so long to mature that the sweetness just was not there, I think the daylight was too short and not enough photosynthesis occurred to have the watermelon sweet.  Great day.  Cindi  I still cannot get over the pictures that I am seeing on these forums, a whole bunch of great photographers!!!!
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Archie

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 06:20:59 pm »
Hi,

A couple of years ago, a couple of fellas up here decided they were going to sell watermelons.  So, they bought a truck, went to Florida and bought a load of melons for a buck each.  They came back home sold everyone of the melons for $1.00 each.  Later when they cashed up, they saw that they did not make a profit.  After a lot of thought on where they went wrong, they decided that they needed a bigger truck.    :-\

Archie   ;)
Honey, Vermont sunshine in a bottle.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 06:30:51 pm »
Great idea, I'm going to get a bigger truck for next year.  May even get two. :evil:

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 06:38:49 pm »
The same went for the guy who invented the CHANGE MACHINE - you put in a dollar, get four quarters out... makes you wonder, what was he thinking - lol.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 07:04:07 pm »
Here is a pic with a big bucket of okra.  I was getting 4-5 of the black buckets of okra a day for almost 2 months.

Offline ChickenWing

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 09:14:38 pm »
I planted 4 watermellon vines this spring.  I got 3 mellons off them.   They were all the size of my fist. LOL.    I cracked them on a fence post and ate them standing right there in the garden.  They tasted just fine.   :D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 01:17:52 am »
pdmattox
I am envious, also about the okra, I love okra.  It is so good, I have never grown it, never thought about it,  it is one of the most delicious vegies around.  Pics are awesome.  How many okras come from a plant, they are kind of like a little shrub right?

About the fist sized watermelons, Chickenwing....what happened?  Regardless, they must have been delicious.  I don't know much about watermelons, but really have to wonder why so small.  Oh well.  Great day, Cindi.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 01:40:24 am »
In my opinion okra is very easy to grow.  However keeping up with it is another thing.  Okra needs to be picked every other day.  As long as you pick it regular it will continue through the summer and fall untill the first frost. One time I got tired of picking it so i let it goto seed and disked it in.  3 weeks later the whole patch was growing again.  If you were to grow some try the crimson spinless variety.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 09:56:50 am »
pdmattox
I meant to ask you and forgot.  What do people do with a watermeon that weighs 70 pounds, I could not imagine it to be sold for the cutting up and snacking on.  Is there some commercial use for it?  I hear that watermelons are extremely high in anti-oxidant properties.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 06:38:01 pm »
Cindi, true a 70# watermelon does not fit very well in a frig.  The watermelon does cut up well and tastes just as good if not better than the smaller ones that are grown for the average consumer that wants a ice box melon.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 11:58:01 pm »
pdmattox.  OK, a 70 pounder would cut up beautifully, but how many people would it take to eat the darn thing.  I could not image something that size.  I doubt if I will ever get a chance to taste one so big to form any comparison opinion, but I believe you.  Well, maybe when my husband and I retire we may travel far and wide, and maybe I will get a chance to be in the southern states when it is watermelon harvesting time.  How long is the window for harvest?  Greatest day. Cindi

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 12:08:59 am »
last week of may and fist two weeks of june if you want to make any money with them.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 05:03:28 am »
I love the look of watermelons, but I just cannot come to terms with the taste :roll:

I am reliably informed, that if you cut a plug out of them, pour in a bottle of vodka, then leave it in the sun for a while, you will not make it to work the next day!

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 07:02:25 am »
i don't grow nearly as many watermelons as pd does and i assume that he wholesales them. I sell mine at the farmers market. they are usually ready in the early part of august and sell very well. around here you have to wait until mid-may to plant them.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 11:28:36 am »
I love the look of watermelons, but I just cannot come to terms with the taste :roll:

I am reliably informed, that if you cut a plug out of them, pour in a bottle of vodka, then leave it in the sun for a while, you will not make it to work the next day!

Mick, oh ya..for sure.  We don't leave it in the sun though, we just put it in the fridge and it is even better, we usually do that at least once in the summer, along with vodka in the ice cube trays for jello shooters.  Yum..oh the summertime treats.  Great day. Cindi

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 02:38:51 pm »
you can also inject them.  take a syringe and your favorite alcohol drink and inject at multiple spots.  if you can wait....let it sit a day.  if not, open and enjoy!!

when "the girls" go camping, we also take all of the left over fruit and put it in a bowl.  we poor something over it and put it in the refrigerator over night.  makes a great breakfast  :evil:

some of the tropical drinks make a great fruit soak!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 08:38:00 pm »
Hee haw Kathy, can't wait for the melon season.  We can get them now, but they are rather on the expensive side, and I don't think that they taste as good as the ones we get in summertime.  Something poured over the melon guts for the morning sound yummy...oh for summer.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 02:44:10 am »
I injected some oranges with vodka once and took them to the cricket, ended up smelling like an alkie, and all sticky to boot!