Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What, You Don't Like My Color?  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: What, You Don't Like My Color?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 11:00:30 am »
My jacket is just a spring jacket, mostly light colors blue but some darker blue as well, that don't bother me.

I notice too that they will go for my face too...darker eyes, lips, etc that stand out on my white face.  Once I walked past a mean hive and they all went toward my dark socks (I had shorts on, I'm a fashion failure, didn't bother changing the socks after work).

A less experienced friend thought he had africanized bees until I was helping him and he pulled on a black sweater and black gloves :roll:.  Once we fixed that it was much much much better for him.

Rick
Rick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 09:45:43 pm »
My jacket is just a spring jacket, mostly light colors blue but some darker blue as well, that don't bother me.

I notice too that they will go for my face too...darker eyes, lips, etc that stand out on my white face.  Once I walked past a mean hive and they all went toward my dark socks (I had shorts on, I'm a fashion failure, didn't bother changing the socks after work).

A less experienced friend thought he had africanized bees until I was helping him and he pulled on a black sweater and black gloves :roll:.  Once we fixed that it was much much much better for him.

Rick

I firmly believe they go for the face area because of the carbon dioxide coming outta the pie hole. That's why you can work them in just about anything or not, but usually its most prudent to at least wear a veil.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 10:57:31 pm »
I wear dark colored pants many times with my veil and jacket. They do not seem to care about the colors. I truly believe they really do not care about the colors. I think also that they are just attracted to the breath and perhaps the eyes.

Also I believe they just know when an animal is around by the smell.

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 10:47:05 am »
I wear dark colored pants many times with my veil and jacket. They do not seem to care about the colors. I truly believe they really do not care about the colors. I think also that they are just attracted to the breath and perhaps the eyes.

I agree with you Annette.
I think they recognize a threat greatly by smell, but probably they draw on all their senses to "feel" if there's a threat.
as Brian said drawing on eons of instinctual programming.

I was watching a show on TV called the dog whisper.
It was very intersting how the dogs unwelcome behaviors are triggered by the owners as he puts it "negative energy" , tension or fear.
Perhaps the bees pickup on things of this nature also.

I think that means JP must be a great smelling "cool cat"  8-) and the bees love him no matter what he's wearing  :-D

He's the "The Bee Whisper"  :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 10:59:53 am »

I think they recognize a threat greatly by smell, but probably they draw on all their senses to "feel" if there's a threat.

It was very intersting how the dogs unwelcome behaviors are triggered by the owners as he puts it "negative energy" , tension or fear.

I think that means JP must be a great smelling "cool cat"  8-) and the bees love him no matter what he's wearing  :-D

Not to boast but my wife has always stated that even when I'm sweaty I don't stink. I don't know about that but I don't however use colognes ever, and my deodorant is unscented. Habits I fell into from yrs of deer hunting.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 11:43:06 pm »

Not to boast but my wife has always stated that even when I'm sweaty I don't stink. I don't know about that but I don't however use colognes ever, and my deodorant is unscented. Habits I fell into from yrs of deer hunting.
...JP

OK, now I am really falling off my chair laughing.  If any of you think that JP smells OK, well, I think he HAS got ya under his spell.  And poor JP's Wife, she must really be held under his spell or something.  Picture JP out there swarm catchin', sweating in that hot Louisianna sun.....what a sight....I have a great imagination and I really don't think for one minute that JP's sweat smells anything short of stinky.  Sorry, dear friend, JP, I think you got the wool pulled over a few people's eyes here!!!   You will never convince me of anything otherwise,  :shock: :-D :) :) :).  Have a wonderful day, love our lives we live, attract great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 01:09:59 am »

...JP

OK, now I am really falling off my chair laughing.  If any of you think that JP smells OK, well, I think he HAS got ya under his spell.  And poor JP's Wife, she must really be held under his spell or something.  Picture JP out there swarm catchin', sweating in that hot Louisianna sun.....what a sight....I have a great imagination and I really don't think for one minute that JP's sweat smells anything short of stinky.  Sorry, dear friend, JP, I think you got the wool pulled over a few people's eyes here!!!   You will never convince me of anything otherwise,  :shock: :-D :) :) :).  Have a wonderful day, love our lives we live, attract great health.  Cindi

:hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

...JP

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 01:46:02 am »

...JP

:hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

...JP

Too funny!  I forgot to mention that I work my girls in camo shirts sometimes.  Doesn't seem to bother them. I'm inclined to think everyone's body chemistry is different.  Like JP I use scent free deodorant but I do use cologne (not when I work the bees or go deer hunting). My wife seems to think Chaps smells good on me...LOL.  She uses Vanilla Fields but she found out quickly the girls are fond of it and buzzed her quite frequently.  Since bees react to pheromones, it makes logical sense to me that smells would dictate some of their reaction.  Try eating a banana and working bees...

David

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 09:19:12 am »
When I was a greenhorn deer hunter, I hadn't learned yet that the best scent was no scent, even though everyone and their grandma were telling me to use this or that to cover my scent from the deer.

A friend I would not hunt with was fond of putting raccoon urine on as a cover scent. I heard it all. One idea stood above the rest so it seemed. Vanilla mixed with a little water.

Yep, good ole vanilla, smells really good, deer like it too...

So do hornets! Ever try hunting with a dozen or so hornets licking vanilla off ya skin?

Makes for an interesting hunt to say the least!

...JP  :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee: :bee:

Offline Doby45

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 10:37:40 am »
Well after recently moving approx 400 hives I have found out that the only advantage color had was in locating the "screamers" on you.  You know the lil bees that get on you and are cursing you in about 48 different ways in bee language.  I see it as something like this - "When I get to you, I am gonna rip you a new one, how would you like me moving your house!"

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 04:39:35 pm »
No body offends me as my sniffer doesn't work.  Can't say the same thing in reverse though.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Steve M.

• House Bee
    • Maine Homesteading
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 12:36:40 pm »
In my very limited experience, I haven't noticed the bees being agitated by dark colors...  I would imagine that there are a lot of factors that we don't even know about that affect their behavior, but I would have to agree that odor is a big factor....however, I'm not about to dress up in a dark, furry bear skin to test the theory!