Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: who watched Terra Nova?  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
who watched Terra Nova?
« on: September 27, 2011, 11:20:21 pm »
i think it got off to a great start.  not to often that i'll watch 2 hours of TV straight, but that kept my attention.  probably could have done with a few less commercial breaks...

if they keep up, i have a new show.  i need a DVR with more memory :-(
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: who watched Terra Nova?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:54:53 am »
We need to discuss other viewing options :)

We watched it, not sure if I was as pleased as you, but I know it takes several shows to build characters and I think TN has the makings for an enjoyable show. I just had a feel of "Jurassic park and lost" had a baby fell about it. They kept the back story pretty short and just tossed you into the time machine. I liked the smuggling of the little girl, but would have been nice to explore Dad's getting out of jail part in more detail. I hope such things are NOT done in a LOST format, that show could make you head spin with flashbacks.

I really like Fallen Skies, the pacing was great right out of the box. Will Patton is great in everything he does, so you can't beat him as a supporting character. The show the EVENT was horrid I thought, they had a great premise that just didn't seem to click and I really loved Heroes but it got muddy too into the last two seasons, it just was WORK to follow especially if you missed (or misunderstood) anything.

It's odd what causes a show to tumble and burn - some never get enough air-time to get to their point, others have no point.

I always go back to my favorite series of the 90s - OZ! Rough, often hard to watch TV with a remarkable cast (most of who are now in one or more Law and Order series) but it had realism about it, I worked in a high security jail for 5 years, I could smell the place in my mind every time I watched Oz.

You and I Kathy have seen a life time of TV series come and go. If we talk horror, serious drama, sci-fi and all the shows which fall in between, it adds up into the hundreds and hundreds. Some touch us, from the gambit of eclectic themes of Quantum Leap where you went from silly to hard core serious from one week to another, to the pulse pounding run of 24, there have been a lot of great shows indeed. All of which are taking a backseat to reality TV, most of which is so mindless that no neurons are triggered in our brains until the commercials come on.

I know I've mentioned my favorite shows currently running elsewhere, but to anyone new reading: Breaking bad is simply the best thing on TV right now IMHO. Followed by the always fun and smart Leverage. In just a week or two the Walking Dead returns, can't wait - it is amazing but true, you could NEVER see another Zombie Scene again in the Walking Dead and it would still be a very good series about relationships among the survivors.

I think Madmen is creative and does a great job of showing us how technology evolves and how people change during some turbulent times in our country. The Good Wife and Blue Bloods, the 3rd Watch and ERs all have a place in my memory. When you feel sorrow when a character dies, it shows that the series got to you, it did what the director had hoped.

The modern detective shows are smart too - yeah, you have all the CSI and NCIS and Law&Orders, but you have the Glades and The Killing and Dexter. Cable channels SURE HAVE BALANCED OUT THE CONTENT, from smart yet funny shows like Monk and Psych to the darkest shows that mimic reality like the Wire.

Can't say there isn't stuff for everyone.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 09:00:28 pm »
I watched it and liked it but had a few problems.   The kids just jump into the water at the water fall and swam.    But coming from the future where the air in toxic, where would they have learned to swim?  The Doc just pulls the huge leach thing off the man's back with out asking anyone how or if it was alright.   Dude could have bled out right there or the leach could have bit her.   Little things I guess.    Could just be me.   But I liked it.   Much better than the Buck Rogers marathon I had been watching the last 2 weeks.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 09:29:32 pm »
caught the leach thing, but not the waterfall.  maybe they had indoor pools in the future and they learned to swim in those?  they could screw this up, but it looks like it has a number of ways to develop multiple story lines.  even though it was a little Jurassic park-like, it is different.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 10:17:36 pm »
i think it got off to a great start.  not to often that i'll watch 2 hours of TV straight, but that kept my attention.  probably could have done with a few less commercial breaks...

if they keep up, i have a new show.  i need a DVR with more memory :-(

Kathy,
if you have dish I believe the dvr is capable of having a external hard drive added for storage. I believe it can be purchased at local computer supply houses but your dvr manual should specify whats needed.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 10:22:18 pm »
you can but you have to pay dish to access the formatting for it.  that ticks me off so i won't do it.  they get enough money out of me already.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 10:17:10 am »
The show was ok overall. However I have huge problems with the Shannon family.

These people are supposed to be from the future, where the world is falling apart. Yet they've decided to have an unauthorized 3rd child. When caught he decides to break out of prison and smuggle this third child into the past.

Screams of entitlement and 'the rules don't apply to me'. Oddly Josh is firmly following right in his fathers footsteps. He's special too and the rule apparently don't apply to him either.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 12:19:16 pm »
Screams of entitlement and 'the rules don't apply to me'. Oddly Josh is firmly following right in his fathers footsteps. He's special too and the rule apparently don't apply to him either.

didn't think about that, but breaking rules/laws is not usually about feeling special or entitled.  most people who do illegal things know there are consequences and they hope to avoid them.  entitlement is more about breaking the laws and knowing there are no consequences because the rules don't apply to you....

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 10:20:50 pm »
If you miss a show, you can catch up old episodes on the net.   http://www.fox.com/terranova/

anything