Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2927 times)

Offline ChristyHemenway

• New Bee
    • GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
Introduction
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:21:13 pm »
Hi -

I learned about this site from some people on another bee site I'm on.

I love bees, and I run a Top Bar Beekeeping Service and do Live Bee Relocations here in Maine, and can't wait to figure out how to get on the Bee Removal map!

Glad to bee here!  Thanks for hosting!

:-)
 -- Christy Hemenway
Gold Star Honeybees
Bath, Maine
-- Christy Hemenway
GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
“It’s not about the honey, Honey – it’s about the Bees!”
207-449-1121
www.goldstarhoneybees.com

Some great bee sites: www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm, and www.beeguardian.org

"Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things."  -- Russell Baker

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 08:40:33 pm »
Welcome!

Live bee relocations? Does that mean cut outs?

I have been trying to educate myself on TBH's. I think I want to start one. I look forward to reading your posts on the above subjects.

Again, Welcome

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:56:20 pm »
Welcome Christy....

The removal map is currently under renovations as I make some major improvements to it,  I've promised everyone I will have it back online before swarm season starts in the spring :-D

I think you will enjoy your time here at Beemaster, we have a lot of good friendly folks who like to help people out.  If you have questions, ask away.  If you have thoughts, jump right in.

rob....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:20:41 pm »
Hello and Welcome Christy 
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny   

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 09:30:03 pm »
Welcome to the forum, a lot of us on here do removals so any questions you have we would glad to help.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline ChristyHemenway

• New Bee
    • GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 10:36:34 pm »
Hi, Rob -
That'll be super.  I'll look forward to it, and thanks for the warm welcome!
 -- Christy

Welcome Christy....

The removal map is currently under renovations as I make some major improvements to it,  I've promised everyone I will have it back online before swarm season starts in the spring :-D

I think you will enjoy your time here at Beemaster, we have a lot of good friendly folks who like to help people out.  If you have questions, ask away.  If you have thoughts, jump right in.

rob....
-- Christy Hemenway
GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
207-449-1121

"Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things."  -- Russell Baker

Offline ChristyHemenway

• New Bee
    • GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:52:52 pm »
Hi, Steve --
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes it does mean cut outs.  I've also called them Extractions - basically what I mean by the phrase is I'll relocate them from out of the building, and put them in a healthy home (read: top-bar hive) and there will be none of this spraying them with poison stuff going on... bad, bad, bad!!!

Many people have gotten in touch with me who have bees in their homes or in outbuildings - saying they don't know what to do, but they know for sure that they don't want to kill any honeybees!  I've heard from folks who have contacted beekeepers who WOULDN'T do this sort of thing, so I've begun offering it as a service.  It's a good way to get bees, but it is also hard work and requires some quasi-specialized equipment.

I think natural comb building is very important to the health of honeybees and TBH's are a very good way to do that.  Having an observation window in them helps the beekeeper to keep their nosy little fingers out of the hive too, and I think that's probably good for bees as well *grin*.

Michael Bush of bushfarms has a tremendous amount of great stuff on-line about cell size and foundationless beekeeping and top-bar hives , I've seen him posting here and he's definitely worth reading, and §¤«£¿æ of §¤«£¿æ in the UK does too.  I'm not experienced enough that you should be watching MY posts - get with these guys - they are some very level-headed experts!

Talk to you soon!
 -- Christy

Welcome!

Live bee relocations? Does that mean cut outs?

I have been trying to educate myself on TBH's. I think I want to start one. I look forward to reading your posts on the above subjects.

Again, Welcome

Steve
-- Christy Hemenway
GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
207-449-1121

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 10:37:33 am »
Christy, welcome to our forum, we love to have new members come on board.  Your introduction was wonderful and tells us alot about you.  Tell us more.... This can be that place where you will meet new friends, tell us your stories, tales and experiences, trust me, we are all a little nosey (and some of us are even more nosey than others, in that friendly way, hey Jody, JP).  We are like a family here, we take care of each other in so many ways and have a blast doing so, you will soon find out what a great place our forum is to spend time.   Each forum member here is special in their own special way, gotta love that!!!

You are running a very special business, helping people to remove bees safely, without eradicating the species, that is wonderful -- and all the other things in the field that you must do too.  I have read alot about the top bar hives, they look so cool and they look so interesting.  Hey, but come on girl,  ;) :) :) :)  How do you pick one up to move it?   8-) :-D :).  Stick around, we love to listen, and we love to learn too, we also have many tales to tell.  Have the most wonderful and awesomely great day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything