Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Squirrels, (and response to dragonflies as well.)  (Read 9757 times)

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Squirrels, (and response to dragonflies as well.)
« on: June 03, 2010, 03:32:10 pm »
We planted 4 peach trees this year, the story is that you're supposed to pull the fruit in year one anyway, but we didn't, there was roughly 20 peaches between the 4 trees. The squirrels ate every last one. My wife already had a pretty solid hate going for them because the tree rats kept attacking her roses; maybe they ate the hips, but a pile of rosepetals at the base of the plant put her in a rage every time, my response: "I'll sight in the gun for you, but you'll have to shoot them yourself, they don't bother me." . Well, they're bothering me. I found the chewed remains of ONE pit, and ALL of the peaches are GONE!
Solution:
component 1: http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-75.html
component 2: http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-a-528.html
be happy and make others happy.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Squirrels, (and response to dragonflies as well.)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:09:05 pm »
Maybe the squirrels are looking out for you since you did not pull the fruit in time.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:09:16 pm »
squirrel dumplings and peach cobbler with a vase of roses on the table :-D

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:16:43 pm »
It is a little early in the season for squirrel dumplings.   They warm you up on a nice cold day.

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:08:44 pm »
bee happy i use my 22 with sniper subsonics they come in 23gr and 64gr. i think in a long barrel there much more quiet than an air gun. they travel below 5000 ft a second so theres no crack at all.
i do ADC work and the law looks the other way. or theres the old box trap and trash can full of water.

Offline Thymaridas

• New Bee
  • Remember its supposed to be fun
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 11:28:45 pm »
You need a pack of adorable Shelties. My dogs will not tolerate even the sight of a squirrel - or rabbits - or deer - or anything that will run from them.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 11:43:54 pm »
those subsonic .22s are a lot of fun, I do have neighbors so I need to keep the mass down just in case one going through takes a funny change in direction.
Thymaridas, we have a dog who lives to run, and is the fastest non-greyhound I've ever seen - there are so many squirrels on the property she doesn't know which way to run first; so now she just ignores them.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 12:53:54 am »
Let me tell you about the peach pits and squirrels. I had a pet squirrel as a kid until I cracked open a peach pit and fed it to him.

It is poison. So just crack the pits and leave them around for the squirrels.  :evil:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 01:44:57 am »
I love squirrels.  They taste wonderful...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 01:52:16 am »
Let me tell you about the peach pits and squirrels. I had a pet squirrel as a kid until I cracked open a peach pit and fed it to him.

It is poison. So just crack the pits and leave them around for the squirrels.  :evil:

Yes, the pits look just like almonds (close cousin) but have a high arsnic content.  Prunes and plums have the same problem but to a lesser extent.  If you have goats and sheep it is best to rid your pastures of any peach, prune, or plum trees as eating the fruit (pit and all) will kill the animals.  Also in the fall, as the leaves turn color, some of the arsnic goes into the leaves which means they can be deadly to livestock then too.  Last year when I turned the goats and sheep into the larger pasture, it had a good portion of it with shoulder high prune trees.  Nice and green, they leveled the trees all the way to the ground, ate the green leaves, bark, and wood down to the dirt.  Now they look for any little shoot coming up and nip it in the bud at first sight.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 09:03:20 am »
In trapping squirrels, has any one ever tried a product called Ramik, lure for squirrels?  I bought a jar last weekend at Tractor Supply.  I had it in the havahart traps for about a week and nothing.   Yesterday, I switched back to peanut butter.   

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 07:42:39 pm »
They are not even looking at the peanut butter.    They are in the apples and the blueberries now, so I think I have the solution for this weekend.   Aguilla Super Colibri .22s.  They are very quiet.  The neighbors will never know.  I shot one off about dark into a stump in the back yard.  The lead hitting the stump made more noise than the gun itself. 

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 08:27:09 pm »
Amen.  when all else fails the long barrel works well.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 01:17:34 am »
Amen.  when all else fails the long barrel works well.

As a kid my brother and I used to kill chipmonks and squirrels by the method of old frontier lore--barking them.  It was a technique used by those with large caliber flintlock and caplock rifles.  Basically you shot at the squirrel in such a way as to cause the bark chips to fly up and stun/kill the animal so as not to waste any meat.  Squirrel stew is good.
It takes a study aim to bark a squirrel but it can be done.  Best to do it on conifers that have a thicker bark than maple and other hardwoods.  The rough bark of pines and fir splinter better upon impact.

We did it with 22s but a larger bullet drives the bark harder, making it more lethal.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 09:54:39 am »
bee happy i use my 22 with sniper subsonics they come in 23gr and 64gr. i think in a long barrel there much more quiet than an air gun. they travel below 5000 ft a second so theres no crack at all.
i do ADC work and the law looks the other way. or theres the old box trap and trash can full of water.
You had to mean 500fps.   Even the fastest long rifle rounds dont touch 2000fps.  I have owned a ADC company going on 19 years now and do use sub sonic  gallery rounds for euthanasia on skunks and animals in box traps.  They run 400fps and they are quieter that my 1100 RWS .17 pellet rifles.  They pellet rifles  just have better range.  All I use for a sights are lasers.  Just place the red dot on the head and squeeze

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 04:39:33 pm »
danno, you got me thinking so i looked the Aguila .22 SSS sniper SubSonic long rifle shells, these no FPS.
on the box or cartion ? there 60 grains and don't work all the actions i have.
But the CCI Sub-Sonic HP are 40 grains and have a 1050 FPS.
I think The Aguila's are quieter in the long barrels but louder in a pistal.
when i trap i carrie a back up pistal with Aguila's in it . At close range they make a mean hole....

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 09:57:06 pm »
Me and the wife (mostly me) have gone through 2 boxes of the Aquila Super Colibri.  I like them.   They shoot mostly straight at close range and will kill the crap out of the old basket ball we had for a target.   I hit 2 squirrels this week and hurt them real bad, but they still made it to the trees.   (We  have to shoot them on the ground for the neighbors).  No confirmed kills but maybe they will die in the trees.  I like how my air rifle is louder and kicks more than these .22s.  I still have not caught any squirrels in my traps and those boogers have eaten a lot of the corn and apples out of the garden.  But I like the Aquila Super Colibri for shooting.   I have a box of the sniper subsonic and they are loud like a .22, but without the crack.  Can't shoot them around the house.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 12:08:55 pm »
danno, you got me thinking so i looked the Aguila .22 SSS sniper SubSonic long rifle shells, these no FPS.
on the box or cartion ? there 60 grains and don't work all the actions i have.
But the CCI Sub-Sonic HP are 40 grains and have a 1050 FPS.
I think The Aguila's are quieter in the long barrels but louder in a pistal.
when i trap i carrie a back up pistal with Aguila's in it . At close range they make a mean hole....
here isthe velocity for your sub sonics 950FPS
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=135961

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 11:59:22 pm »
Thanks , perty ain't thay