Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should hives be combined?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
Should hives be combined?
« on: August 06, 2010, 04:02:11 pm »
My existing hive has no queen and no brood at all when I checked yesterday.  Lots of pollen and some honey.  I don't know what happened.  Workers are still bringing in lots of pollen. 

About 3 weeks ago I cut a hive from a house with lots of brood in all stages, but I didn't get the queen.  Today, I found that all of the brood hatched and I now have a queen!

Can or should I combine these and how is the best way? 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Mark.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Should hives be combined?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 04:28:27 pm »
I would check again for a queen to make sure she is not just taking a break with no food coming in this time of the year.  But if she is gone for good, you could combine, or if the numbers are still high enough, just give them a frame of brood to start there own.

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
Re: Should hives be combined?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 05:43:56 pm »
I'm pretty certain there was no queen.  And, yes, I thought of that too...."give them one frame of brood".  That would work out even if I missed the queen, correct? 

I was going to give two frames of brood from a strong hive I have, but one will work okay?  That should have all stages of development - eggs on up?  That's with the frames covered with nurse bees, correct?  I also would have to transport them about 1 hr.   Like put them in a nuc box and go I'm guessing?

Not much experience.

anything