Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: raspberries question  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Martha Beemom

• New Bee
raspberries question
« on: June 14, 2005, 12:37:10 pm »
I have some trained on a lattice fence. Now there are canes coming up 4-5 feet away. These guys are shooting up fast and tall. I like to keep them bound to the lattice.

So do I just cut these new ones?

Thanks,
Martha

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
raspberries question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 02:36:59 pm »
Our raspberries are the same way - popping up all over, several feet from the original, and not where I want them. :) Just cutting them down won't solve much. It'll just grow back because of the root system. It's just the nature of the plant.

Why not dig them up, and either replant them at the lattice, give them away to friends, or sell them for a couple bucks each? Or just consider cutting them each year as part of the plant control. They don't grow back too terribly fast, so just mowing around them tends to work well for us.

Our wild blackberries and the raspberries we planted do this - growing from the root system. But our thornless blackberries grow differently. They do expand with a root system, but it stays close by. It also starts new shoots off long limbs that end up touching the ground and developing a root system. It would work well on a lattice set-up.

Beth

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
raspberries question
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 03:26:07 pm »
Yes, definitely nature of the plant.

I planted 6 canes last year, and now I have about 50 coming up.  If they aren't where you want them, you can dig them up, root them and plant them where you want them.  Or you can just mow them down.

I like to give stuff away.

Offline bill

• House Bee
raspberries question
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 11:29:28 pm »
what is the variety of thornless blackberry you have. I might try it here next year
billiet

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
raspberries question
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 08:36:41 am »
I have canby which is supposedly thornless.  It doesn't have any big thick thorns, but it does have some little tiny poky ones. You'll get poked, but you won't tear your skin off.

anything