Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Church Cutout  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
Church Cutout
« on: April 20, 2011, 03:28:24 pm »
Lord Help me.
I just got a call from a guy about an hour away that has a hive in the wall of a church I had said that I was not going to do removals this year because fat butt ate my way out of my bee suit. He rooked me in with a hive in a log out in his pasture my ears got bigger than my mouth so I either have to get really fast at sewing a new bee suit or lose 40 pound next week. Oh and I quoted him 150 for the wall hive and he said hired I don't know if that is good price or not but I have been paid more in the past but most say I will spray at any price quote I thought he was going to do the same.

Of y'all that do this suit less how do you get by with it. One of the first I did bees stung the suit god knows how many times but they acted like the JP video where Schawee ended up in the suit all day and mine stayed that way I was actually happy when that hive died off. They would attack you 30 feet from the hive.

Oh has anyone used almond extract instead of beequick the imitation stuff.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Church Cutout
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 03:43:57 pm »
How about some details on the church building? Brick, wood exterior...?

I suit up when they get pissy, I don't like being stung in the face just like the next person.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 04:22:05 pm »
get a jacket.  you can get one for under 50 last time i checked.  wear jeans and boots.  i wouldn't do one without protection, but JP knows what a coward i am about stings.

:-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 05:04:22 pm »
I have a home made veil and ganuntlet gloves I have a full brushy mountain suit and veil but the wife was preg these last ten months and its been a food feast the whole time. Its the biggest suit they make too I think its diet time for me hack I know its diet time. I have always been a big man now I am just a little to big for the suits.

I think I will test the suit tonight and see if I can let it out any over the holiday.

From what the guy told me its in the wall right next to a window and the walls have vinyl siding and he said top of the wall could be reached with a 8 foot ladder, and I could possibly work from inside if I wanted its location is the men's bathroom on the inside.

Hey JP I keep seeing you use those new saws I don't know what they are called. The vibration saws what are the pros and cons of them and should I buy a name brand one or is harbor freight model just as good.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:56:08 pm »
Haddon, where are you located that you are expecting pissy bees? (fill in your profile if you would to give us a clue :) )

All you really need is a veil and, if you desire, a long sleeved shirt. Veils are like $12 or so.

The tool you're referring to is a "multi tool" and can come in handy for sure, but I rarely use mine. I'd rather pull the siding off whole if possible.

$150 is a good start but if it's in a difficult spot you'll wish you quoted more!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 12:14:29 am »
Haddon, I would do the cut out from the exterior. The vinyl is over wood of some type. Remove what you need to access the colony. Start at the top of the wall and work down as the bees like to build comb top plate down in most vertical void spaces.

Get you a multi-tool from Harbor Freight.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 11:46:00 am »
Well I put the suit on last night I squeezed my fat butt in it looked like a tick ready to pop.  :shock:
But at least I fit in it don't know how much work I can do in it. I am going to try to let it out myself or have someone let it out this week, and no more food for the next week today starts the day of starvation  :'(

I did 4 cutouts last year no one really does them around here reason being no one will pay you. Of the four I did only one was paid and it was a Government job, work trailer for the forest service. I got 350 for that one but had to drive 120 miles each way. For 350 I could actually smile for that one. I don't think I will be smiling at 150 and they have to pay me before I start Churchs love to stiff people in this area.

But if I get the suit fixed I might find more work I am finding I do most of my work at least 50 miles from here even swarms so swarms I will charge for gas at least because swarms are nice but they are a crap shoot as to if they survive that or you have to pump feed to them all summer oh and don't forget they sometimes just leave. :)

Last year I got one the home owner had sprayed didn't tell me that till I drove 50 miles told me he had sprayed in the past not that he had sprayed that morning. Anyway he had killed that queen I should have videoed the mass exitdose the next morning said thing is they came back that night and landed on the nicest young hive I had war started next morning hive dwindled from that point on.  :-x

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 12:55:49 am »
well got in touch with guy about church bee removal he said the church had decided just to spray the bees... They didn't think the siding of the church would survive being removed. The guy still wanted me to come get the stump, but when I asked for more details about the hive in the stump, he said the stump was only 18in tall and 20in round... he was too scared to get a closer look to verify they were honey bees, although he was 'sure' they were... I think he has yellow jackets...

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 08:33:32 pm »
Let your suit out no matter what
This way you'll have one thing out of the way,for the next one
Hope you get 100 more calls
New momma can use the $$ :-D

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:08:24 am »
get a jacket.  you can get one for under 50 last time i checked.  wear jeans and boots.  i wouldn't do one without protection, but JP knows what a coward i am about stings.

:-D

Coward here as well Kathy :-D :-D

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 03:26:29 pm »
Yeah suit is getting let out now.

I have a feeling I will not be doing any removals as long as I charge what needs to be charged. I might get a few around Jackson but there is already someone else that removes bees down there. I live in too much of a economically challenged region to get people to pay for bee removals.

I know I will at least do one this year even if I have to find a charity one to do.

P.S.

I am going to need some expert advise tonight on a removal I will try and get a video up of the situation. Its a house I looked at last year and tried a trap out that failed I should be able to get my stuff today and make video of the house. Will hopefully post it later tonight.