Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee venom therapy and my little Kobi girl  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Bee venom therapy and my little Kobi girl
« on: November 16, 2007, 11:05:18 am »
My Daughter has two pittbull dogs.  One is an old gal, Kobi, she is 13 and is a powerhouse.  She is my retired helper outside.  She used to come with me and work (before Titan, the younger pittbull came along and replaced the work that she does).  Before we had our back 3 acres of land cleared for agricultural purposes (we left groves of coniferous trees, and it is beautiful), she used to come out and work with me and pull out the little alders.  I would bend the little trees over and cut the roots and she would finish it off by pulling them out.  She did this for several years, then her teeth began to not be as good, and she had to retire that duty.  She carried on with other duties, but that one was gone.

About 3 years ago she jumped over our yard fence and really hurt her hip.  We took her to the vet and he said that she would need surgery to reattach a ligament.  Right, $1,200.  We'll do that one year, ha.  She mended fairly well and still limped quite a bit.  Last year she began to perform BVT on herself.  She loves to catch flies, mice, anything that she can and she took up catching bees.  She lies in wait outside near the flowers and any bee that passes too close to her she bites.  They sting her and I watch her fling these bees away, after they have stung her.  I know that she does this on purpose, and the small amount of bees that she gets is minimal, hee, hee.

The point of this is, is that this old gal is like a young pup again.  She runs and plays, there is no limping or pain.  I am sure that arthritis would have set in and this pain would have been great.  She probably is arthritic, but she has natural pain relief.

I have noticed in the past two weeks that she is not as limber as she was in the summertime.  So.....now is my duty to help this old gal along.  I have to probably each day get a bee that may poke its head out of the colony and give the sting on the rump of this dog.

My colonies are strong.....I saw them several days ago having a wonderful day in the sunshine.  They were many in numbers, hanging around the top and lower entrances, revelling in the warmth.  My apiary is situated on a knoll, where they receive the full benefit of sun from the moment it comes up over the horizon to the end of the day when it disappears behind the trees.  Even with the sun on the lower horizon in wintertime, the apiary still receives several hours of nice sunshine, when the sun does shine.  These colonies can spare a few bees to make my Kobi girl painfree (oh yes, I have to put a couple on my knee too, eeeeeeekkkkkks!!!!!!).  That is a tough one, to take that bee by the wings, place her on the spot that you know you want her to attack and carry forward.  That takes guts, cause you know that burning sensation, and we all know that too well,  :) :) :) ;) :evil:  Have a wonderful day, beautiful day in this life.  Cindi

My Kobi girl, another love of my life, who brings that smile to my face

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Bee venom therapy and my little Kobi girl
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 08:08:54 pm »
I saw an article back in the late 80's on a scientific study showing that animals doctor themselves.  Obviously they didn't before that since all the scientists said so.  She must have been born since then...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:18:31 pm »
Smart dog, self administered apitherapy.  I self administer myself, that's why I don't wear gloves and use a smoker very lightly.  And I have to agree with the dog, I hurt a lot more in the winter when I'm not able to poke around in the beeyard.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 10:29:08 pm »
Cindi, You may remember me posting this season about the dog that belonged to a guy I removed bees for that had bad arthritis. Well, anyway they swore up and down that the dog would give itself bee therapy. I have no reason to doubt them. They said he was renewed after each "session". I also posted about a couple of my fingers, having trouble with them and I aministered some BVT to those, which helped out big time. Yeah, the main finger, my right middle finger has been acting up again, BVT to it soon. That's a beautiful dog, aren't they truly man's best friend? Well, in your case woman's best friend. Have a great day, JP.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 01:05:37 pm »
JP, I clearly remember your post about that dog and you with your fingers.  Yes, she is a bee eater.  I see her right now laying on my couch (leather couch, she loves that natural scent, has a great big throw that I made so that it protects this surface).  I am eyeballing her, thinking that in couple of hours I am heading out to catch a guard bee, full of venom..... :evil: :roll: ;) :)  Have a wonderful and great day, I know I will  :evil: Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Gail Di Matteo

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 08:53:35 pm »
Cindi,
Nice post. I'm a dog lover too.
I read an article once that said dogs assume human characteristics because we as humans project them onto the dog. That dogs really are very, very good at reading us and therefore we think they are human. I think I disagree. I hope that dogs go to heaven!

Gail
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 09:53:44 am »
Gail, that was cute, and brought that smile to my face.  I am sure that ALL dogs do go to heaven, wish I could say the same about us human beings, (hee, hee) :evil: :evil: :roll: ;) :)   Have a great and wonderful day.  Cindi

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 03:00:24 pm »
One of our pittbull girlies Ruthie(loves of the world i tell you) had knee and hip issues also requiring surgery-which we did. She now has gold covered steel balls implanted in her hips that activate pressure points when rubbed with a magnet-it really works. She needed a knee surgery, she got that too. she is now known as the bionic dog. I loved your story cindi and i am going to try the venom treatment as she still gets stiff and sore. My heart will break when this dog goes! my younger girl Lola gives her a run for her $ and keeps her young.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 11:23:48 pm »
bberry, that is wonderful how the vets can perform such a feat with surgery eh?  Wonderful, it has given years of life to your little baby, lovely.  When our Dalmation X Rottwheiller gets old and passes, we will get pittbulls.  Without a doubt in my mind.  Having been around this breed for over 12 years now, I have a love of these great family dogs that love kids and are by your side, your working partner.  I heard somewhere that the pittbull breed was used for gopher hunting.  That would certainly be true in my mind, as these dogs love to work the land, every way that they can.  The younger pittbull, Titan, now almost 3 years of age, is my rock solid helper.  He has muscles that ripple like you would never believe!!!!  He will stand for hours, waiting for me to unearth a piece of wood for him while I am weeding or working in the soil, tossing rocks onto my rock pile.  As soon as I look at him and make eye contact, he gets hunched down, ready to spring into action to go and retrieve the piece of wood or weed that I throw for him.  Sometimes I get so busy and I forget he is there, he is so silent and devoted.  I am sure there has been times when he has been waiting for over an hour for me to unearth a "gopher" for him and throw it.  I'll turn around, meet his eyes, and he takes on that stance, of "I'm ready, I've been a'waitin' for ya", he is indeed ready, and the throwing begins.  I have very strong arms and can pitch things quite a distance.

Bberry, if I were you, I would begin to give Ruthie some venom treatments now and then, before she becomes in pain.  It may even give the other pooch an even bigger run for him money  ;) :) :).  Why not, it cannot hurt her.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day in our world.  Cindi

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 10:30:53 am »
Hind sight certainly is 20/20.
My wife and I had rescued a Shar-pei from our neighbors that was in extremely poor shape, but that's another story.
Rocky had a dislocated hind knee and hip that was obviously not treated by a vet.
This was not the fault of my neighbors.
He had these injuries when they got him.
The muscle had calcified and thickened to almost twice the normal size and acted like a splint.
He could be quite comical running around on three legs.
Rocky was routinely getting stung while out in the yard and having severe reactions to the stings.
I never saw this actually happen, so I never thought that it might have been self induced.
The first time it happened, I did not recognize him and thought a strange dog had come into our yard.
He swelled up so bad that his eyes were closed and he didn't dare to move, probably because he couldn't see.

Any way, the point of this post is to let you all know that our vet said that 1 milligram per pound of body weight of Benedryl would stop the reaction and in our case, it did.
I'm not talking about the cold and/or sinus stuff, but the pure Benedryl (the little pink 25mg ones).

I'm sorry, Cindi, for hijacking your post, but I think it is a good thread for this info.

I hope this helps.
Tai

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 10:38:27 am »
Tai, you did not hijack the post, go for it!!!!  It is wonderful that people expand on topics, this is how we listen and learn.  The stories that our forum friends tell us are wonderful and great to listen to, yea!!!!  Hijack all you want, heee, heee  :) :) :) Have the best of a beautiful day, Cindi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 11:32:45 am »
Kona's been stung a few times and does not like it one bit. He knows the differance between "bugs" and bees. The former gets stomped on for amusement, the latter he hides from! When I am in the hive, Kona hides behind the butterfly bush while I inspect. If they get testy and I wlak assertively from the hive, Kona runs for the house and Hides :roll: He wouild also show you where the jewelry is in the house. Not much a  guard dog! Love pits too. Sadly unpopular at times.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 11:44:28 pm »
Konasdad.  Now that is funny about your pooch, Kona.  He probably believes that the bush provides him protection, and I bet your bottom dollar that he still sees you, hee, hee.

My dog Kooder, my brave, big ol' Kooder, the dalmation X rottwhieller.  He is a tough ol' dude, and follows me everywhere I go, never ever taking his eye off me.  Sometimes this makes me wonder, don't they have anything else to do, but watch their most loved person in the world.  When I head off towards the apiary, he stops in his tracks......sits down and watches, from such a far distance.  He does not like it one little bit around that nasty ol' beeyard.  He has been attacked by the electric fence, and of course the bees, he knows his place in this place where we live.  He brings that smile to my face.  Have a wonderful, beautiful day, love our life we're livin'.  Cindi

anything