Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help dealing with hawks  (Read 8593 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Help dealing with hawks
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 10:30:09 am »
Brian, what a gracious offer.  I suspect that there would have to be a certificate of health though.  I know I am getting chicks from McMurray's and there must be a health certificate that I purchase to come through the border.  I will check it out though, thank you so much for thinking of me.  Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 12:55:05 am »
   If I remember right all bird of prey or raptor are feather protected.  This means that if I have a feather I'm subject to criminal prosecution.  This was explained to me by a person who was licensed for raptor therapy and return to the wild.  This was after a friend of mine had a barn owl hit his windsheild in  front of my house in Georgia.  Some local folks wanted to kill it for the feathers and I got out there in time to stop them.  We covered it with a blanket and boxed it up.  Called the police they gave us the number to a judge who was able to care for the owl. 

As far as getting hit by raptors yeah we lost a lot of chickens and friends of mine have lost many ducklings, rabbits, turkey poults and more.  Takes a lot to get permission to kill or trap one or not granted permission for anything.  Can be frustrating.

But I have always marveled at hawks, eagles, owls and falcons.  I think they are cool!  Mindful that they are wild critters and not to be tamed, but cool! 
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 11:01:05 am »
Thinking about it, I've lost more chix/ducklings to crows than hawks...they will swoop down, grab a duckling, carry it up about 60ft & drop it on a rock, then eat it. :-x..When my daughter was about 8 she saw this & got busy making a slingshot out of sticks, rubber bands & hay twine..she was able to knock a few in flight & whacked em with other stix or laughed as they bonked into trees...kept her busy for days! Great problem solving, math, fine motor & critical thinking skills! :evil: That's my girl!!
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 12:39:14 am »
Jody, you need to take your hat off to your Daughter, yeah!!!  What an innovative young lady to get on that band wagon, yeah!!!!!  Most beautiful day in this most beautiful life, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 12:09:06 pm »
Love the Birds of Prey, but there sure have gotten to be a lot of them in the last few years. Twenty years ago it was rare to see Great Horned Owl here.  Now I regularly see as many as four in the trees along my 1/2 mile long driveway.  Hawks are everywhere all year long.  Between the Birds of Prey, Bobcats, and loose dogs its just impossible to have any feathered livestock run loose. 

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 11:33:40 pm »
Hey Brian, I remember dad having a pigeon which probably flew in to  powerline...As you probably know, this happens occasionally.
 Anyways, there was this bird(pigeon) see,   and it was alive after hitting a wire.......And ever time it ate, the pigeon food would fall right out of its body!!!...Same with drinking, the water would fall out!
 Dad sewed this bird closed and she lived!
 And this is a true story!

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 11:39:45 pm »
Blach, how you you spell something really yucky?  There must be a way of spelling it,  :) :) :)  Beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 11:50:28 pm »
It wasnt like barf, it was just grain ...It came out exactly as it went in! :)
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 11:57:56 pm »
John, ha, it sounds like Chinese crud to me (hee, hee, got that term from Brian Bray, hee, hee).  Best of a beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 11:59:18 pm »
 :-D