Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Window screen honey filter  (Read 3441 times)

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Window screen honey filter
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:40:18 am »
Any issue with using regular fiberglass window screening to filter honey? My goal is to keep the honey as natural as possible.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
Re: Window screen honey filter
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 06:09:06 pm »
It will let a bunch of junk through.
I use this a 600 micron bucket filter from Brushy Mountain: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Filtering-and-Bottling/products/118/2/0
Or you could use a nylon paint strainer bag for a 5 gal bucket bought at any hardware store.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:05:59 pm »
I think it will be fine as long as you know there will be wax/pollen in your honey.  I have bottled raw unfiltered honey before for some folks that wanted it that way.   The screen will catch most all of all the chunks and bee parts. 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 10:11:35 pm »
I run mine through a 5 gal paint strainer.  Wash it out and use again the next year.

Joe

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:29:50 pm »
The honey appears to be pretty clean. I did read somewhere though that pollen, propolis, or wax particles can cause the honey to crystalize sooner. Any opinions or experience along those lines? I washed the screen several times before using and dried it throughly before use.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:23:47 pm »
Guess I'll keep using it.

Offline gefdef

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 09:58:46 am »
For coarse filtering I use 50% shade cloth then 90% shade cloth.  Its cheap and strong, washes out well.  Think you should be able to get it in the US.  This gets rid of the bigger stuff then use 180 micron nitril  filter.

Geoff