Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finskie  (Read 13537 times)

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: Finskie
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 09:00:28 am »
I also miss finskies Deep and knowledgeable insight into beekeeping, but he got away with murder under a long time due to what people thought was lost in translation and ranting.

Early on participateting in Anglo Saxon English speaking forums I had to clean up my language and write poop instead of sh1t and other word formulation that are not acceptable in polite conversation.

Direct translation from plane speaking Swedish can some across as rude in English.

Getting a strong warning mail from the moderator was a Flashback to getting told of in school  :police:

Beeing rude and slamming other forum members is not kind.

It keeps new member out, scared of making a mistake, asking a question that might bee stupid, when the stupidest question is the one never asked an ignorance continued.

Also two members slamming oneanother makes for bad Reading and doesn't help promote beekeeping forward in a positive light.

A good argument is stimulating and being proved wrong and learning something new is great if we all can learn new ways to be better beekeepers.

I don't like angry bees, nasty people that are unkind  :-x I'm old and wise enough not to tolerate it and I don't want to waste my time on them.  :angel:

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 09:30:32 am »
Well, interesting thread now.  Finski is eccentric to say the least.  But, I also remember my first impression of him.  I told him off for his attitude.  Went in one ear and out the other and he kept on treating people without any respect.

Now, I am probably the most politically incorrect person I know.  I open my mouth and I am in trouble....one of those kind.  I too had to learn how to curb myself in forums.  Hey I am 61 and this old dog learned a new trick, I am sure Finiski could have if he had bothered. 

Finally, I just started to not read any post he was involved it.  I have stayed out of topics to avoid him.  I get just as hot as he does, and nasty.  But a forum is not the place to do that.  I would assume if banned here, he earned that situation all by himself.  He is a grown man and should respect others. 

Also by his actions I see that indeed he does significantly intimidate any newbee and probably most folks that just let things pass for fear of issue.  If a permanent ban, that is too bad as many will not learn his way, which is HIS way and only a suggestion how things should go.  Us stubborn old farts find it really hard to be told we are wrong, or to change our ways.

But if he were to be allowed back and IF he could treat people with much more respect than he has in the past, he probably is a benefit.  BUT among many of us, myself included, he has shot himself in the foot and I will not ever forget how he has treated some folks here.  I am certain his ban was well deserved, though I am not privy to any of it.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 12:20:13 pm »
I guess I may be a little thicker skinned that some folks, but I found Finskie to be humorous. I looked foward to his posts and made sure I read everyone of them.

Ditto that.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 04:41:08 am »
I guess I may be a little thicker skinned that some folks, but I found Finskie to be humorous. I looked forward to his posts and made sure I read everyone of them.

yes and what is amazing is the number of views to these posts ---he was a hard one to deal with--cant let these things get personal--he could shake the confidence of the best beekeeper--but was short lived to his potintal on the net-on several occasions --has been ban from here and other sties more than once--its the newbees that suffered his wrath--I never once complained to the moderators about his zeal--lets face it --he was the only one you could tell to pee up a rope and not get in-trouble for ---His mission was to educate american beekeepers ----Distane- for America was prevalent--this is more
than most could stand--yet if you could wrangle with finski
 you could wrangel with anyone- ;)  RDY-B
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:06:52 am by rdy-b »

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 10:08:46 am »
I believe that Finskie's attitude is Finskie. He probably acts and speaks to everyone the same way. His wife, kids, everyone. I don't think the he is trying to offend anyone. He's just being Finskie.
I learned to accept people for what they are a long time ago.Just like I expect people to accept me for what I am, whatever that is. And if you don't, ignore me. That's your prerogative. But don't expect me to conform to your version of normal.
I also believe that is an underlying problem in our society today. We want everyone to act, think, and believe like we do.Individuality is unacceptable.
Grow up, people. Pull your panties up and let the "crusty old fart" be a crusty old fart. That's his prerogative.
If he offends you, ignore him.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 10:49:42 am »
Finski was a curmudgeon.  And his use of the word stupid was at times cringe inflicting.  But as RC says, he was who he was, there was certainly no question. 

No one can "make" you feel stupid.  People are; and you control how you react to them.  That is pretty much it.  I found Finski a little harsh, and I didn't find much of his advice applicable to me since my climate is totally different, but I didn't find him offensive, just incredibly direct.  If you argued with him, you did it as your choice and at your own risk.  You certainly knew what to expect, lol.

That being said, I think the moderators of this forum do a good job, and not knowing the details, I respect their decisions and right to make them. 

DISCLAIMER:  I have a soft spot for curmudgeons. 

love,
ziffa

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 12:59:29 pm »
I can understand folks being offended by some of Finski's posts - besides being a curmudgeon, he also clearly enyoys being something of a gadfly. giving little nips to get a reaction. As much as his English is pretty good, I do think that it's true that if it's not your mother tongue, you are much more likely to say something that is unintentionally inappropriate, or even more insulting than intended, without knowing it. Even Americans can do it in English  - we toss around Englishisms like 'bloody' or 'bugger' thinking nothing of it, but these are really quite rude words in English (the country) usage. So, I always read Finski with a grain of salt, and tried to coddle him around to the warmer side of him that I could see was there, the part that liked to share his long and deep experience with bees. I do hope that he shows up again, and that he and everyone that he has irritated might get on a better footing.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2014, 01:28:34 pm »
I believe that Finskie's attitude is Finskie. He probably acts and speaks to everyone the same way. His wife, kids, everyone. I don't think the he is trying to offend anyone. He's just being Finskie.
I learned to accept people for what they are a long time ago.Just like I expect people to accept me for what I am, whatever that is. And if you don't, ignore me. That's your prerogative. But don't expect me to conform to your version of normal.
I also believe that is an underlying problem in our society today. We want everyone to act, think, and believe like we do.Individuality is unacceptable.
Grow up, people. Pull your panties up and let the "crusty old fart" be a crusty old fart. That's his prerogative.
If he offends you, ignore him.

I totally agree with you about Finsky.     But the one that got away with it is more offensive then Finsky
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:25:56 pm by sterling »

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2014, 06:14:56 pm »
Lets watch where this thread tries to veer sometimes. :-X 

Offline hvac professor

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 07:19:42 pm »
I did not know Finskie that well I guess but did see he made alot of replies, to me, not knowing, I always felt he was just giving his opinion to the best of his ability. I enjoyed many pictures he provided showing his hives completely buried in snow, yet as he uncovered them they came to life. I did not know that other beeks were having trouble with his rudeness, as I did not get mistreated by him during my communications with him.
I just very much enjoyed reading his posts. I would bet that Finskie is reading these posts under an alias, and im sure he is grinning from ear to ear. As the originator of this post I appreciate the many replies and feedback from all beeks who took the time to post, thank you for everyones  input, I personally hope to one day communicate with Finskie again.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 12:59:16 am »
 I read a post about some one that had started a new beekeeping site.

:soapbox: :thunder: :whip: Maybee there i room and  a need on the www for a new beekeeping site were grumpy  :rant: angry  :whip: ill tempered  :ninja: disturbed   :thunder: uncouth  :fishhit: rude  :rant: disrespectful  :buttkick: nasty  :soapbox: obscene  :rulez: impolite  :whip:  medieval  :ninja: and unwashed  :thunder: beekeepers could meet and  :whip: lash  :whip: out at one and other   :soapbox: :hissyfit:  :thunder: :whip: :rant:

:piano: It sure would bee  :pop: entertaining  :pinkelephant: Sort of like putting all the rotten eggs in one basket  :lau: :imsorry:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 12:18:07 pm »
 :-D
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 05:07:48 pm »
wow...nothing like a bunch of people with nothing better to do than pile on someone who evidently isn't there at the moment to even defend themselves. I do not even get where people say finski was that bad. everything I read from him seemed legit in his own mind, and people with different circumstances do things different ways..... He at least did things with a scientific mind and not just a lot of superstition imo.
   I'd be fine having his experience and knowledge., and therefor was always fine with his involvement in threads. I was a newb here not to long ago (and maybe still am.) and he never scared me off. I personally liked him.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 05:46:29 pm »
I did not know Finskie that well I guess but did see he made alot of replies, to me, not knowing, I always felt he was just giving his opinion to the best of his ability. I enjoyed many pictures he provided showing his hives completely buried in snow, yet as he uncovered them they came to life. I did not know that other beeks were having trouble with his rudeness, as I did not get mistreated by him during my communications with him.
I just very much enjoyed reading his posts. I would bet that Finskie is reading these posts under an alias, and im sure he is grinning from ear to ear. As the originator of this post I appreciate the many replies and feedback from all beeks who took the time to post, thank you for everyones  input, I personally hope to one day communicate with Finskie again.

Ah Ha...hvac is really finski in disguise. lol. Why get so worked up by the posts of a man on the other side of the planet who you probably will never meet in this life??? I thought it was interesting to hear about real-time beekeeping from a person on the other side of the globe in a different culture and climate. Who cares if he is grumpy and insensitive-seeming at times? If he was kicked off the forum, I trust that admin had a good reason. It's their site. They can kick any of us off for any reason. That's the way it should be. If the admin went crazy with power, the site would lose membership to another site.

I hope to see finski back, but it is what it is. He probably has better things to do.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 06:16:49 pm »
edward, that was very creative!!   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 06:33:03 pm »
I know he made me mad but he did know bees  I think  BM was better off with him.
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:01 pm »

+1!

Moots

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 09:06:50 pm »

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 11:06:55 pm »

yea I would like to join up!

Offline Palouse

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 11:17:38 pm »
Interesting. Talking about banned people on GT is frowned upon by mods.

Fin was a grumpy old man, but I read his posts because I wanted to know what his methods were with regard to winter. My problem was I couldn't understand half of what he wrote.