Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Reaction to stings  (Read 6598 times)

Offline johng

• House Bee
Re: Reaction to stings
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 11:57:59 am »
That's funny stuff Kathy!!  :lau:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 12:06:18 pm »
you laugh, but a lot of research on ingredients, and a lot of hanging out in the store reading labels went into that recommendation   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BingalingBees

• New Bee
  • Brad Raspet BingalingBees.com
    • Bingaling Bees
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 01:29:10 pm »
I've been stung a lot over the last 3 years as a beginning beekeeper... fortunately, just a little swelling and itching. I have noticed hardly anything happens on the fingers, soft tissue will swell more (lips, forearm, etc). I just scrap the stinger off, rub a little pepsodent baking soda type toothpaste on it & ice it later when I get home. If I was working the back yard hives I'd mix a little baking soda in water and apply instead of using the toothpaste. I know lots of people use different things, vinegar, copper penny, etc. This is just what works for me. The ice really helps if there's much swelling.

IF you get short of breath or swelling occurs away from the sting site or your blood pressure dumps (faint) CALL 9-1-1 THIS IS A LIFE THREATENING REACTION! I carry an epi-pen for emergencies when I'm doing presentations or workshops with other people in the bee yard. (retired firefighter/EMT).
Brad Raspet - Mount Vernon, WA
www.BingalingBees.com

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 07:15:53 am »
semi update;

I got stung yesterday on the left side of my upper mustache line. I went to the house and made me a paste using meat tenderizer. (suppose to neutralize the bee venom). Over 12 hours later and no itching.

Don't know if it was the bee, me, location of sting, or the meat tenderizer. I do know I'll be using it again if stung. Will keep yall updated.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline jim81147

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 10:45:36 pm »
Michael Palmer made a youtube video and in it he actually says that getting stung on a regular basis is good and keeps the negative reactions from happening . Definitely worth the few minutes to watch.
If my bee's can survive me , Varroa doesn't stand a chance !!!

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 01:31:57 am »
Meat tenderizer works for me.....David

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 09:28:55 pm »
Plantain.

http://bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#plantain

Click on the thumbnail for a bigger picture.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2014, 12:15:05 pm »
Benadril
a splash of apple cider vinegar on a paper towel swipe the sting
this works on skeeter bites might work on bee stings?
mothers lore says make a poultice baking soda and vinegar
nothing is immediate! except amputation and I don't recommend that, it would be like loosing ones head.
jay

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 12:39:29 pm »
where does the hemorrhoid cream go? informed readers want to know. yuck yuck yuck
jay

anything