Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thanks, whoever you are . . .  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Thanks, whoever you are . . .
« on: August 14, 2004, 12:15:20 am »
A strange thing happened today.  My daughter and I were out walking around the compound this evening, and I noticed a blue Walmart bag on our front stoop that had something in it.  I picked it up and pulled out a piece of metal, long and flat and sharp on one end, with a hook on the other.  There was a yellow tag wired to the hook end, with handwriting that said: "it's homemade out of cheap steel so may bend if used to pry up a full super but will serve well as a frame lifter and scraper".  

Well!  It's a nice looking hive tool, for sure.  But who left it?  We rarely use the front door, so it may have been there a day or two.  There was no name, no number, nothing on the tag.  I thought of a handful of members on this forum that live near me, but I don't think I've shared my address.  I thought perhaps someone driving past saw the hive, but it's rather far out back and behind a tree, from the front road's perspective.  Then my daughter reminded me -- I've recently been checking the hive on Sunday mornings, walking about the yard and field in my suit and veil, with a parking lot full of churchgoers coming and going across the street.  Of course, somebody saw me then and reached out with this little gift.  I think I'll put a sign on my mailbox this weekend that says "Thanks for the hive tool!"

-- Kris

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 02:32:22 am »
It's always cool when you are the target of a random act of kindness.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Gift.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 12:27:07 pm »
That is so cool!

Just like an old beekeeper - able to sniff out a hive location; and
bring gifts.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 12:47:18 pm »
That is cool. :) It got me thinking too. If it is an old beekeeper, it's possible they miss being around the bees, and seeing you brought back wonderful memories. How about speaking to the pastor of the church and seeing if they think it might be one of the congragation?
If you found out who it was, you might make a nice new friend - possibly one who had alot of experience with bees that could teach you something. Or you may simply make an old man happy by letting him visit your hive, let him tell you about "back in the day", and give him some honey.

Beth

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 09:35:01 pm »
maybe the person that left the tool simply wants you to be able to lift frames easier so you don't get stung as much.  figures if you didn't have a frame lifter type tool now you do.