Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: am i to late  (Read 1938 times)

Offline fenux1255

• New Bee
am i to late
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:56:40 pm »
i have a couple hives and i just was asked today to remove a swarm from near by my property my question is that its july 31 is it to late for that
swarm to make it threw the winter and what can i do to save it so that i can add it to my collection of hives this is my first year so my 2 hives do not have a large supply of honey to donate to the new hive any suggestions

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: am i to late
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 05:15:30 pm »
depends on some stuff.  how big is the swarm?  do you have the queen?  do you have at least some drawn foundation? 

if they are small, or you do not have a mated queen, the best bet is to combine them with another hive.  if it is a large swarm and you can feed them, they have a reasonable chance of making it.  you will have to feed them between now and weather change.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 07:13:39 pm »
If you have other hives that are exceptionally strong I would think that you could take resources from some of them to help boost the new swarm.  You will have to feed them like crazy and probably five them some frames of honey to get them through winter though.  This along with all the advice kathyp gave.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 12:33:15 am »
Put them in a single deep.  Then feed 1-1 syrup.  And feed and feed.  Don't bother with 2 boxes, just make sure they have a single deep full.  They can make it (assuming as Kathy said, they are a decent size swarm)

If you have the equipment, what do you have to lose?  $20 of sugar?  And if they don't make it you end up with a box of drawn comb.  :)  That's worth $20 next spring when you hive a different swarm in it, if they don't make it.

Rick

Offline fenux1255

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 03:43:01 am »
k thank you guys for getting back to me so quick im on my way up to see how big the swarm is tomarrow and to remove it i just wanted a kind of game plan as to what to plan for :) thanks a bunch

anything