Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hi,from nsw australia  (Read 4250 times)

Offline beebloke

• New Bee
hi,from nsw australia
« on: April 22, 2005, 08:25:54 am »
HI,
Im from nsw australia,just finished,

"An introduction to computers course for over 45 pre seniors"

So lately i have been unleashing myself on the net,upgrading from rural hemit to - global.

That is the true course name,for those in my age group what about us bieng "Pre-seniors"

I had a couple of hives,then my mate down the road got interested so we made a team,this is good because he is younger and fitter.We have another mate he is 83,we help him as we can and we learn a lot and then some more.

We have now 45 hives and love every minute of beekeeping.
Thanks,
Beebloke.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
hi,from nsw australia
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 11:52:13 am »
Hi, and welcome aboard, beebloke!

Love to hear more about oyour beekeeping down under!

eivindm

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
hi,from nsw australia
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 11:57:19 am »
I'm looking forward to hearing your adventures too. One question I'm wondering right off..... what animals does australia have that might destroy a hive going after honey or bee lavea?

Welcome aboard.

Beth

Offline beebloke

• New Bee
hi,from nsw australia
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 07:00:03 am »
Hi, Thanks for the welcome.

I see there is a few other aussies out there,a long way from me though. I reckon  all other members are a fair bit further away again.The net makes us all close.

I have enjoyed reading about beekeeping across the globe and would be happy to share about our ways.

The basic stuff is much the same,I dont have a lot of winter problems that many of you contend with. I think this would be the big difference between us.I cant speak for the other aussie members,im not sure about thier climate.

Drought is probly more a concern for us than winters.I am a bit better placed than many others.It has been a worry for the commercial guys the last few years.

We dont have any animals that raid,destroy hives; except vandals.Probably happens world wide.All my hives are on private land well away from sight.I am very lucky to have more offers of sites than I have hives.I wish this problem on you all.

We still have the standard pests ,wax moth,small hive beetle.they are no great worry .I was in a strong hive the other day and watched bees wrestle with hive beetles then fly off with them .

Our seasons are opposite to northern hemisphere,we are in autumn,1st june is the start of our winter.I still have necter and pollen coming in now and for another couple of weeks.
Its a short winter for me,swarms can start first week of september.

I dont know what the other aussies can add ,i dont know where they are exactly.

Thanks
Beebloke
Thanks,
Beebloke.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
hi,from nsw australia
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 12:00:55 pm »
We noticed around here after looking at some local records that bees did better on drought years. bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
hi,from nsw australia
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 12:51:28 pm »
Welcome Aboard the Forum :)

Always glad to have people from the other hemisphere in the forum - a point that many US members don't know is the REVERSE seasons you have compared to the Northern Hemisphere, so you are going into Winter if I'm right? I hope to you can share images if possible, we all love to see other members beeyard, local clubs or organizations where they learn about beekeeping.

The point being that you deal with seasonal issue 180 degrees differently then we do. As we are blooming and crossing our fingers for warn Spring days and lots of flights, you are readying for the cold storage of Winter. I assume that has a lot to do with your actual longitude location too. In the states there is a tremendous difference between Florida and Maine weather.

I remember meeting someone while away for work related training in Houston, TX who was from Austrailia and he quickly drew a map of your continent, explaining that roughly 10% of the Continent is populated along the Eastern coast and most everything West of that is bushland -just wonder how true that is.

If anything said above is wrong, please let me know - because the whole purpose of the forums is to learn how others keep bees, and the unique conditions they have to deal with and how they acclimate to their enviroment.

Many members here are in their FIRST season of keeping bees and quite a few who are in the "learning stage", getting ready to get bees NEXT year by picking up as much info as possible this year. That is where my Beekeeping Course leaves off and the forum really shines. I hope that I offer enough basic beekeeping info to keep people coming back, but with the introduction of the forums about 14 months ago, people can really interact with hundreds of others who are both new and seasoned in this challenging hobby.

Again, welcome to the forums, I'm glad you found our forums - we love to see every member active here and through their posts we all learn to be better beekeepers. :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline beebloke

• New Bee
hi,from nsw australia
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 08:24:03 am »
HI  :D

Most of our population lives along the coastal region,about 90%. Mostly along the eastern seaboard.I am one.

There is still many beekeepers inland on good honey flows.The further you go inland the drier it gets.The centre of Australia is very arid.

My bee mate has a digital camera,we are going to start using it and hope to get pictures up.This wont happen real soon because we have not used the camera let alone work out how to post pictures.We probably take the photos then pass them on to my computer mate.He has a shed full of computer stuff,I call it the GEEKERY. :D
Thanks,
Beebloke.

anything