Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cant get some posted pics.  (Read 3970 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
cant get some posted pics.
« on: June 16, 2008, 09:48:08 pm »
Does anybody know why I can see some pics posted in the forums and some other pictures show up as a box with a red X in it. I noticed this first when Doak was testing stuff and i assumed he was having problems....Now, As I looked at some garden pics I saw some ok and the others showed up again as the box with the red X.
Ive seen this kind of thing happen before but it has been in my emails, and there will be a window(a yellowish strip window above my email) which tells me to click here if I want to view the pictures
Anybody know what is going on here?
your friend,
john

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: cant get some posted pics.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 10:05:12 pm »
Johnny, what browser are you using?

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:22:52 pm »
 I suppose its Internet Explorer as thats what the icon says where I clik on to get on the internet.
your friend,
john

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 08:23:35 am »
It's probably your "POP-UP BLOCKER"
I don't run Windows or use IE, but I think you'll need to edit your preferences for pop-ups under the Security tab.

Hope this helps.
Tai

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 08:25:48 am »
What I have the most trouble with are the offsite photo hosting sites. When redirected to another site sometimes advertisements and other crud load first, before the photos load. The ads often require loading an ActiveX control to drive the cute little animations about how to find your dream sweetie (for example). If you are getting the prompt (yellowish strip) it means your browser is either trying to block something that you have to manually override (depending on your security settings) or doesn't know what to do with the URL. If you click the strip and say ok, it still may take some time for stuff to load. Right click on the x box of a photo you can't see and choose properties. That will give you the URL (uniform resource locator), which you can copy and paste into a new tab's address bar. If it still doesn't work, I just say the heck with it. I resent those sites that insert ads and other junk and make a note not to ever use them.

If you can post the URLs of a couple that aren't working, I may be able to tell you more specifically what the problem is.

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:34:43 am »
Heh. I was just rudely reminded that imageshack is one of the WORST photo hosting sites. A popup in frame AND an ad. Sheesh. Try picasa.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 08:40:58 am »
Most of the time it is caused by the image no longer existing where the link says it should be, this is especially true in older posts.  When the person made the post, the image existed, and since then they have either moved their website or it has been shut down and gone away.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 09:50:18 am »
RE: Robo's post about nonexistent sites, ImageStation is a case in point.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 07:37:37 pm »
        :shock: :shock: :shock:
 Thanks you guys!!!
 i THINK i'LL GO LOOK AT THE POSTS AGAIN AND SEE IF THEY WORK NOW!
I did a lot of scrubbing and cleaning and a new spyware deal last nite as I was also having trouble with a movie maker shutting down after i did all my work and got ready to make my movie.
So, Maybe I did something right..If not,...... :-\....I'll start with Tais suggestion(his sounded easiest) and shoot on down the list.
 I suck at computer stuff...
My bees make me feel stupid most the time.
My son will tell you that I NEVER know what I'm talking about...
 And I dont have any retirement plan that will last more than six months.
My wife still likes me though and the Redsox are still leading their division..
And.....I got friends like you! :)

your friend,
john