Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sealing colony in tree hollow - entrance  (Read 2142 times)

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
Sealing colony in tree hollow - entrance
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:45:54 pm »
Hey all,

A tree company called me to help them seal up the entrance of a colony 30+ ft up before they cut it down.
Not sure how large the entrance is but I was thinking of #8 hardware cloth or aluminum window screen.

The part I want to know is, what do you use in terms of nails, screws, staples or strip tacks or what.?
What's a good method to ensure zero holes that the bees can escape from under the screen?

Thanks

Jack

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Sealing colony in tree hollow - entrance
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:12:39 pm »
I use #8 hardware cloth and screw it to the tree so it's easier to take back off. Ask for truss head screws (they have a large head that won't pull through the screen).

It works really well on smooth bark trees. For rougher bark (like live oak) it takes more time to block all of the possible passages in the bark "cracks".

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:23:03 pm »
stuff a rag in the hole while they are cutting and pull it out just as they are leaving. Get them to tie some baling twine on the rag for a more remote rag removal. Works very well. Had some tree cutters do it last year and since it took several days to work the tree down they loved it.

I have also used an old bed sheet wrapped around several holes and then duct tape it up, this also works well.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline beetalkin

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:01:11 pm »
I have used window screen and roofing tacks. staples should work fine if they're long enough.  seal them in at night.  maybe use caulk if the tree bark is rough.  drill holes to find the top & bottom of the cavity.  saw off the top first. use rope to tie hive section to the stump above & below bottom cut so it won't fall. make bottom cut. lower hive into truck. cut out at home.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:38:05 am »
It's handy to have some duct tape, Stapler, nails, screws and chalk.  And, of course screen or #8 hardware cloth.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin