Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello again from Santa Cruz  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Landphil

• New Bee
Hello again from Santa Cruz
« on: August 28, 2008, 07:07:10 pm »
Hi everyone!  I've been enjoying/frantically searching this forum as a guest since getting my first hive (seven frame nuc) a little over a month ago.  I'm glad to see other west coasters here, especially from Santa Cruz County, where we have several unique micro-climates.  I live in Santa Cruz proper, on a 50' x 150' lot with alley access, which really helps with getting to the garden, bees, etc...So far, so good with the bees.  Hungry little buggers though, going through 1.5 quarts sugar syrup (2:1) daily to build up comb.  Was getting nectar bound as comb build-up seemed to be lagging and with no place to put all that syrup I'm-a-feedin them I'm wary of a swarmy attitude.  Anyway, thinking about splitting this hive before too long and going through winter (what we call winter is 25"-30" rain with temps 40-60F) with the two smaller hives.  It sure is interesting to read about all the different locals and their ways of doing things, and to see so many people connected to the basics, it gives one hope for the future- Thanks again...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello again from Santa Cruz
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:59:31 pm »
Landphil.  Welcome to our forum, nice that you have began to post, after spending time here reading.  Good that you got some bees and they are building up well.  Stick around, this will be a place where you can tell your tales and experiences, we love to listen.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service