Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how to get the bees into the hive  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Lunawriter

• New Bee
how to get the bees into the hive
« on: June 01, 2010, 04:36:59 pm »
I just caught my first swarm.  It's in a box waiting for the last of the stragglers to enter and then I will be bringing it home.  I'm buying lemongrass oil to put in the hive to make them feel at home, but thats' as far as I've gotten.  Should I put the false back in somewhere to make it smaller?  If so, how many bars back should it be inserted?  Should I be feeding them anything?  Also, I'm putting them in and then leaving on vacation in two days and will be gone for ten. I figure that will just give them time to settle in without being disturbed, but am I wrong in my thinking? 

Thanks!

Offline Lunawriter

• New Bee
Re: how to get the bees into the hive
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 04:39:33 pm »
Oops, I forgot to add: how many bars do you usually remove to get the bees in?  When should I replace them?  Oy, I'm such a noob. ;)

Offline marksmith

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 07:20:54 pm »
look in your box and put the queen in a hair clip.

Pull enough bars to be able to pour the bees into the TBH.

Put bars back.... wait.

I have heard a fed swarm wont leave.  Put a bag feeder in it and some pollen patty if you have one.
Mark Smith - Elkton, OR

Offline Lunawriter

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:48:04 pm »
Ugh, I sure got stung a lot today. :(  All the posts about how docile bees are while swarming led me to believe I didn't need any equipment until they'd settled in.  Wrong.  Ouch.

Well, I got them in the hive (wearing a raincoat, ski goggles, ski gloves, etc) and put the top bars back and the lid on.  I put a bag feeder in there and some lemon grass oil.  I'm fairly sure I got the queen in the box, but I'm not positive.  It was really dark by the time I managed to get them in there.

In the end I was using sugar water as a defense against them while collecting them.  I'd spray their wings to keep them down.   They were just ticked!   I ended up soaking a lot of them and when they'd fly near my face I'd spray it right at them there, too.  My head was soaked and sticky by the end.  It was pretty discouraging. :'(  I got stung at least 11 times.  They were there since Saturday and the homeowners had hit them once with a baseball bat, so they had good reason, but man, do I really want to do this after all? :?  I'd rather not get stung 11 times every day that's for sure.

I'm ordering equipment, but I don't know when it will arrive and I'm leaving on vacation in two days.  Not sure how this is all going to go.  Do I just leave them alone at this point, anyway, and let them settle in? I don't want to go back out there until I'm dressed in head to toe body armor... :locked: :'(

Offline rebee

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 12:38:29 am »
Sounds like my first experience with putting bees in a hive.
I found that a good jacket with veil is a must for dealing with a new swarm or package. I am no expert, but I would just leave them  be. I often feed them every other day until they get going, but a swarm should be okay.
Hang it there- it's worth it.
attitude is more important than fact

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 01:40:37 am »
Lunawriter--Welcome! It's really neat how many female beeks there are :)

Sounds like a difficult start, that's too bad. Being properly protected makes all the difference in how much fun beekeeping is. I would say a veil at minimum is fairly necessary. After that, jeans and a jean jacket have been working well for me. When my hives have gotten more built up, I rubberband the ankles and wrists and don the gloves.

Do you have much going for flow right now? Sounds like feeding would be a safe idea, if feeding is what you want to do. Good luck!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Lunawriter

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 02:29:09 am »
Rebee, thanks so much for your post and kind words.  It's nice to know my situation wasn't unique and other people have had similar experiences. It especially means a lot that it was your first post!  I'm so honored you'd reply to me. :)   I believe that it's worth it and I'm just going to get properly geared up before taking the next step.  Thanks!

Luvin Honey, thanks for the welcome. :) It's funny how shocked people are that I wanted to keep bees and that I collected a swarm. "YOU did?" I've already had people say.  Um, yeah, and please don't look at my arms and fingers deformed by bee stings at the moment or you'd know how badly I did it! ;)

I appreciate the help and commiseration, friends!

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 04:56:27 pm »
Know what you mean about the deformed body parts :D The problem is, it's usually my kids' and husband's faces that are unrecognizably swollen, which makes me look like a terrible mom and husband, holding onto this hobby at the cost of the family's health.

Actually, it just is becoming more of a solitary hobby, as nobody will visit the hives with me anymore! Ahhh well..... It is very serene out there, all by myself with the girls :)

Best wishes!!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline classeroadbees

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 05:13:44 am »
DUMP THEM

anything