Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pressure Washer recommendations?  (Read 8292 times)

Offline superhoney

• New Bee
  • Golly I love this hobby
    • 12 Miles To Utopia
Pressure Washer recommendations?
« on: April 24, 2008, 05:53:14 pm »
Hi all,
We need a pressure washer for many things around here (or I have discovered a need anyhow) and I have begun looking for a good model that will handle what a typical farm throws at it. Truck washin', tractor washin', goat barn washin' etc.

For those that have them does anyone have a suggestion for a decently made, between $500 and $1000, gas, cold water, pressure washer? I have the most of summer to search for a good deal so no hurry there. If any electric pressure washer owners have a good recommendation I'll take those too.

I think I'm in the 3GPM, 3000PSI area but aren't sure if I need more or less PW than that. I'm starting to be familiar with the wares of Northern Tool, Harbor Freight and some others so far just need some perspective on quality from the hive if possible.

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Superhoney

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Pressure Washer recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:00:04 pm »
I like the self contained heated pressure washers. Not sure of their price but they can be used on a lot of different things.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:22:09 pm »
i think i got my last one at costco.  check costco.com.  coastal farm supply also carries them.  get the biggest, baddest, one you can afford.  you won't believe all the things you'll use it for.  the one i got from costco was a karcher.  i have had it for about 7 years and it is nice.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 07:36:29 pm »
I love ours, it does a great job on fridge shelves & BBQ racks, even takes melted tupperware from oven racks! :roll:   Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 08:55:09 pm »
I may get one just to wash plastic foundation with.
$500???$1000. I believe I could make one for that many $"s
doak

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:17:13 pm »
With 5 tractors, a bulldozer, an excavator, 3 trucks, 2 vans, a jeep, motorhome, travel trailer, 28 ft pontoon boat, and all the assorted equipment for a 135 acre hay and cattle (and now Bee!) operation we have gone through our share of pressure washers.  Your not going to get a very dependable rig for much less than $2,000.00 we know because we've got two electric and one useless 3hp gas still sitting in the barn.  They all work (if you can call it that) but it takes all day to clean even the smallest of jobs. Get the BIGGEST and BEST you can afford, you won't regret it.  Cat pumps are hard to beat and a 5hp or greater pressure lubed engine are my recommendations. :)

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:29:51 pm »
I got a cat pump with a honda engine, 4000 p.s.i.  Not much it won't clean. I probobly put 100 or more hrs. on it per summer. I'm a painting contractor. Had it for years, on my 3rd pump but same motor,can't beat the honda.
God bless Us all!!

Offline superhoney

• New Bee
    • 12 Miles To Utopia
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 11:01:02 pm »
Well awesome, thanks everybody!

We are new to farm life just having moved here to help out and I'm finding all kinds of jobs that could use a good tool!

Later I'll be cleaning the house prepping it for painting, and the biggest thing is spraying down the goat barns before birthing season. I wouldn't mind washing the truck once or twice either. :)

Doak: How does one make a pressure washer? I'm aspiring to be a DIY but that's well beyond my skills at the moment. Would be cool though to make it yourself. There's a log splitter I totally want to make from Mother Earth News. Maybe later this year before firewood season and after I'm better at welding & hydraulics.<dreams>

Kathyp: Sweet! We have a Costco membership too, I think they do have a Karcher I saw last time I was in there. Is the handle on your Karcher plastic? Have you ever had a problem with the handle leaking? I could've sworn I read that somewhere but if not that's a good sign.

Poka-Bee: What manufacturer and model? Sounds good if you're happy!

Well thanks all for all the super input! Here's what I have so far: Buy as much as I can, consider heated, Cat, Honda, Karcher are possibilities. Well I have some time to search for a good deal that fits those criteria. Mebe a little trip over to craigslist might be in order...see but that's dangerous! I start with one thing and end up wanting 5 things!

Bee safe!
Superhoney

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 11:11:15 pm »
Be careful getting a used one.  Often one will be left to over winter with water in it.  It'll start and sound fine but the pump will be done for.  Then its off to craigslist come spring.  Don't buy anything you haven't hooked up and run for at least 20 minutes.  Use it to clean something  BIG.   :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 02:16:58 pm by HAB »

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 11:12:46 pm »
I am in the construction business and I have a 3 GPM 3000 PSI unit that I purchased from Harbor Freight over 10 years ago. With a turbo tip, it will clean anything and if not used properly, will remove good paint and the top layer of wood. Works great for cleaning concrete. Bigger the better, gas not electric.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 12:15:25 am »
I have a troybilt from Lowes. 3200 lbs of pressure. It sounds alot like asprinces. I dont really use it alot, but its about 5 or 6 years old(maybe even older) and runs great still! One pull and its running! It sits out in the weather too..I think they still run around 300$.
 My only problems have been having to get another hose once, and bought a tip twice, and just last weekend got a trigger handle part...My handle started to leak.
 A few things to consider maybe......
 This size REALLY CAN tear wood apart!....It will also tear off pinstriping off a boat or vehicle if you're not careful....Your tip(nozzle) is adjustable for different spray patterns but there are just some things you really want to watch when spraying...Like when washing under your hood of your truck or riding mower.....It can pull wires loose!  It can knock screws and bolts into oblivion too!..It can also break the siding off your house!
  Anyways, good luck!

your friend,
john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 01:04:39 am »
also, if you climb to the top of a ladder to spray off the top of your horse trailer, it's a REALLY good idea to hang on to something when you pull the trigger!!!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jacmar

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 05:47:02 pm »
A "CAT" pump and a 5 Horse "HONDA" 3000 PSI the most reliable combination you can get. Mine is over fifteen years old and works like a charm still. The only thing I have bought was a new pressure hose as the old one  leaked after being dragged on the ground and from the pressure vibrations.

Jack
"The key to life is to Die Young at a very Old Age"

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 11:44:49 pm »
Yay Kathy!!
 I can see it!!!
 You, flying around with a spray wand in your hand, flopping around like a balloon shooting through the sky on a tether!
 Definitely dont wanna ladder with wheels, huh?!
your friend,
john

Offline superhoney

• New Bee
    • 12 Miles To Utopia
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 03:54:59 pm »
My goodness, I burst out laughing at the 'top of the ladder' bit. Heh that was awesome! Good safety tip too! I would so do that being a newbie rancher. And to make matters worse flying about clinging to it would seem to be my style when I mess up. Hit too close to home I guess, I couldn't stop laughing. <deep breath>

Well great, some more super info I needed to know, I can't wait to start hunting for deals on some of these. And planning jobs for it. <wrings hands menacingly>

I will indeed need to be careful not to strip something I don't intend to strip. In my younger life someone sprayed me at the car wash and tore skin off my arm so I'm good to go on that high-pressure-water-beats-most-things bit of knowledge. It's all fun until someone gets an embolism! :P

I'll make sure to post when I finally get one, I will be searching in the coming days/months for one to surface at the right price and strength. I did happen to see a 4000 PSI Karcher 13HP for $599-reconditioned so far in my searching and almost jumped. Reconditioned is ok with me, to me it means someone tightened the thing twice before I got it and fixed the thing that immediately failed already, but I just broke the tractor (another story) so that's where the money flow is going at the moment.  :oops:

Thanks loads for the info and giggles!
Superhoney!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 12:26:09 am »
4000PSI?
 Are you washing stuff or plowing your fields? :-D
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 10:17:49 am »
Kathy, now the next time that you pull that stunt, pretend that you are on your mare, in the bushes, on an overnight hunt, or should I say an overnight, protecting you and the mare, hee, hee.  I know that you have strong arms, horsey people are that way, so just hang on tight and don't go for that ride on the pressure washer hose!!!  Beautiful and most wonderful day, laughin' all the way, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline superhoney

• New Bee
    • 12 Miles To Utopia
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 05:10:40 pm »
Plowing you say? Hmm... <adds plowing to the list of uses>  :-D

Heh, really I'm following the 'go big as you can' objective and for the price that seemed pretty good. But that was a one day liquidation sale and I'll keep looking.

I'm seeing costco for that set of specs at $979 so far <winces>. Haven't started looking for Cat yet, will be at Lowes prolly sometime soon looking at the troybilt 3000psi/2.7GPM for $389.

I'll keep you updated as I progress through my ultimate PW search!

Superhoney!

Offline superhoney

• New Bee
    • 12 Miles To Utopia
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 03:15:05 pm »
Hello again everyone,
It's been ages since I've posted but I wanted to finish this topic now that I finally bought a power washer.

So after a couple of foibles at Harbor Freight (see below) I landed on a Karcher 3000PSI power washer that does everything we wanted it to do. I did locate it at Costco for $389. The 190 Honda engine started on the first pull out of the box, and has so through many jobs so far. Thanks for all the awesome input, it helped a bunch in the final decision.

Horror freight earns their name: I received a 4000PSI model from Harbor Freight for my birthday (it's the thought that counts) but alas a valve ontop of the gas tank was broken off so we had to take it back. The second one we got had the same valve broken off so a refund was obtained and the hunt continued. It seems as though they changed the gastank and emissions configuration but not the shipping carton it came in; I suspect all of that model arrived broken the same way. So I got a "tool to be named later" instead of the power washer for now. 8) <wrings hands menacingly>

Anyway so there it is, finally an answer. The summer has kept me super busy and I'm glad to be back hanging around. Hopefully I will bee more at home now so I can start posting again. :)

Take care,
Superhoney

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 11:19:40 am »
I don't like the ones with the adjustable tip's. They don't have a good spray for the really tough jobs. I have five different tip's for any job. Make sure you get a Honda engine and cat pump and don't get any thing under 3.000 psi
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

anything