Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is the most effective way to get called for swarms?  (Read 2726 times)

Offline dp

• House Bee
What is the most effective way to get called for swarms?
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:20:44 pm »
I really want to catch a swarm.  So far, I've let a lot of people know that I'm interested in catching one and put my name on Craigslist.  I've got one call that there was a mass of flying bees, but I never could locate the swarm.  I know that over time, the word will get out that I'm a beekeeper, but I'd like to get my hive #'s up sooner rather than later. 

So...what is the most effective method?  As far as I know, there are no "swarm lists" in my county.

Offline harvey

• House Bee
Re: What is the most effective way to get called for swarms?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:32:29 pm »
Call your central dispatch and let them know you are a bee keeper,  Some people call 911 when they have a swarm land.  I put my name on a list there but there is like twenty people on the list.  Not sure if they call from the top down each time or not?  Havn't got a call yet but at least my name is out there.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:33:21 pm »
Call up all the pest control guys around and let them know you can take care of that for them.   Or flyberties.    Advertise with airplanes.   Works for GEICO.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 11:27:05 pm »
I get most of my calls from various animal control folks and pest control companies.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:31:19 pm »
Zoos, fire stations, plant nurseries, police stations, pest control companies, state agricultural departments, home depot (if you have cards drop them by the pest section) do it yourself pest control stores...

And lastly but not least, all bee clubs in your area.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 10:20:45 am »
For me it took awhile to get my name out there. I now get calls from the following areas:

1. Extension Agency
2. 911
3. Pest control companies
4. Word of mouth

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:56:53 am »
All the above! I am a police officer and people do call 911 for swarms and even when they finally discover they bees coming and going from a hole in their house. Our County only has one dispatch for all the agencies so it makes it easy on me. I let the people know at Walmart in the home and garden know that way if people come in for bee killer they would tell them about me. Last year I gave some free honey away to public figures and that has lead me to referals from them for swarms and hives inside peoples houses. Good luck.

Offline glenn c hile

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:25:53 am »
Internet listings.  I have gotten several calls from people who google swarm removal.  Do it for your area / state and see what lists come jup and sign up.

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 08:01:30 pm »
If there are any wildlife rescue/rehab places in the area check to see if they keep a list. I've received two calls from people who got my name there and haven't even contacted them. They apparently keep the list from our beekeeping club handy so they can refer callers.

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 12:52:04 am »
Be careful, once the dispatcher or fire station get your number, you may get 5 calls a week.  It is a good problem to have, but it ran me ragged this last spring.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

anything