Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: STATES THE SHB ARE FOUND  (Read 8392 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
STATES THE SHB ARE FOUND
« on: December 25, 2004, 01:25:38 am »
Read this link i just found, tell that the SHB are all over the east side of the usa, and this is a year old.

Until 1998, A. tumida had never been recorded in the Western Hemisphere (Elzen et al., 1999). It is believed that A. tumida was first introduced in North America in coastal sections of South Carolina and Georgia. Mitochondrial DNA sequencing of U.S. and African small hive beetles strongly suggests that the African and North American populations represent the same species, but has not allowed researchers to determine if the North American population is the result of one or multiple introductions (Evans et al., 2000). There is some evidence that the earliest North American record of the small hive beetle was in South Carolina in November of 1996 (Mostafa and Williams, 2002). However, the first confirmed detection was in Floridian honey bee hives in June of 1998, as identified by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (Sanford, 2002). Since this time, the small hive beetle has extended its North American range to 29 states including Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, and Wisconsin (Mostafa and Williams, 2002).

The main modes of transportation of A. tumida are believed to be the movement of hives by MIGRATORY BEEKEEPERS, the distribution of packaged bees, and possibly the distribution on alternative hosts (Delaplane, 1998). Entomologist have yet to establish whether the beetle is capable of persisting in more temperate regions of the country and, therefore, are uncertain as to how far its range will eventually spread (Sanford, 2002).

HERES THE SITE ,HAS ALOT MORE INFO,

http://www.beetlelady.com/?page_id=5
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:10:19 am by buzzbee »
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Bee Brothers Apiary

• New Bee
    • EveryThing Honey Bee, Inc.
Re: STATES THE SHB ARE FOUND
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:28:53 am »
Any Current Data for 2010 or 2011? I saw 1 this Spring. Nothing Since  X:X

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:22:50 pm »
I have a friend who just lost a hive. It had both wax moth and SHB. I have never seen wax moth follow shb in a hive so I believe the wax moth was first and then came the SHB. We all know if wax moth is first it is a sign of another problem in a weak hive!
John 3:16

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:59:41 pm »
I am amazed this year to have seen essentially no SHBs.  I checked a very weak hive at the Blue Heron today and NO SHBs.  We saw a few in the strongest hive there, but smashed them with the hive tool.  I haven't seen any at my in-town hives (5 of them)  Amazing year so far.  Of course, magical thinking would say that it is dangerous to post this because next inspection all hives will be swarming with small hive beetles!!!!!

LT

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 11:39:21 pm »
I smashed 2 while robbing 6 hives yesterday.   Normally there would have been dozens.  Maybe some pest has found SHB to be tasty?

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:58:57 pm »
I know Hawaii has them really bad. There were several articles in Bee Culture about them. I believe they wipe out more hives than varroa.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 12:36:58 am »
This has been a great honey season in Georgia and many of the hives are quite strong.  Maybe that's the secret as it is with most of the beehive pests (except varroa).  But I have some pretty weak hives right now as well and haven't seen beetles in them yet either.

LT

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 06:38:17 am »
Can anyone get the link to work?

It does not come up for me.

Thank you.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 07:11:57 am »
Link updated!  
 As it was posted in 2004 hosting site may have changed.Not sure the info was ever updated.
The links on the page your referred to no longer appear to work,although the original article is still present.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 06:37:08 pm »
Killed 3 today as I put supers in the freezer that I let the bees clean up after extracting.  I had 8 or 10 supers out and the beetles were in the wax and crap that collected on the concrete under the bottom box.  Maybe the real strong hives are keeping the at bay.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 06:45:18 pm »
I smashed 2 while robbing 6 hives yesterday.   Normally there would have been dozens.  Maybe some pest has found SHB to be tasty?

One can only hope. Ive noticed the the SHB populations were lower in my hives this year versus the last. At first I thought  that using Round Up under the hives had something to do with it. Now, Im not so sure. Either way, Im not complaining.

Offline mjb1

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 09:23:05 pm »
We have them here in South Carolina. I think the lizards eat them i have lizards that lay on the front of the bottom boards and wait for them or maybe the eat bees too

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:23:14 pm »
found the first one in 2011 today. very unusual to find them in this apiary.  :ninja:

N 43 07.048
W 073 34.271

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:25:59 pm »
found the first one in 2011 today. very unusual to find them in this apiary.  :ninja:

N 43 07.048
W 073 34.271

I hate to tell you but it probably has friends!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 11:39:19 pm »
no need to hate...

i knew one was coming...  :ninja:

i did a cut-out in the bronx two weeks ago that was infested...my vac sucks them out of the bees holding chamber, but i can't avoid all the ones hiding in the comb or their eggs. that particular colony was isolated, and spread open in the sunlight, when I returned. it seems ok now.

I use cd cases that have worked well in the past to kill those 2 or 3 a year that unknowingly fly into restricted air space. traps have none this year so far.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 03:33:38 pm »
so what is the date for this data? they definitely need to ad missouri to that map.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 07:05:29 pm »
I have yet to find, and I hope I never do.

Yes I know, sooner or later.