Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dogs, Bears, and chipmunks  (Read 4366 times)

Offline snowzerdog

• House Bee
Dogs, Bears, and chipmunks
« on: June 29, 2004, 08:34:54 am »
Not quite sure what happened.   Took the dogs out the other morning, one just let out and the other on a leash but as I went around the corner of the house and looked at the hive all I could say is O'Sh*t .  There was my hive laying on it's side leaning on a stump next to it.  I had just put a shallow super on it two days before as  they had all the frames drawn out in the top deep in 1 1/2 week and brood and capped brood.  in most frames.  Well I put on the veil and grabbed the smoker and went to work making it right again.  I was amazed as to how calm they were.  Knock a hornets nest like that and they would go nuts.  Well, I had to put new comb foundation in the shallow but other that that all is fine at the moment.  The two deeps just had shifted frames and some death.  I'm hoping one was not the queen.  I am going to leave them alone for a couple of weeks to forget that this happened or should I check sooner?   I just put the hive bodies back on the stand without really checking, as I thought they had enough trauma for the day. All is looking fine right now gathering necter and pollen. One chasing a friend that wanted a closer look at the hive etc. This was two days agoand can't figuer if a chipmunk went under the stand and the big white 1/2 wolf chased  it or a bear knocked it over a few minutes before as the dogs had there noses up sniffing and their hair standing up on the back.  Wish I had a digital camera.  Maybe next week if the wife will let me.       :x
God doesn't owe you anything, but you owe everything to God!

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 10:31:32 am »
I think I would check for the queen in a couple of days. Gives you the option of letting then make a queen or just getting a new one to install so you don't loose so much time.
I think If I thought there had been a bear that knocked my hive over I would look closely at the kind of damage did just to ease my mind.
I would also be checking in on some barb wire and a hot shot electric fencer to protect the girls from raskle bear. bees and equipment isn't cheap.
 :D Al

Offline Mchero

• New Bee
    • http://home.comcast.net/~nhpinball
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 11:17:56 am »
I use a corkscrew looking steak that I screw into the ground and then up & over the hive with some straps. Keeps the hives from getting knocked over. Works great!

RM

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 11:41:45 am »
Like the ones they have at the pet store for dogs?
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Mchero

• New Bee
    • http://home.comcast.net/~nhpinball
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 11:50:27 am »
Quote from: BigRog
Like the ones they have at the pet store for dogs?

Yes, I piced them up at Home Depot.

RM

anything