Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BeePollen supplement recipe anyone?  (Read 2866 times)

Offline marina

• Brood
BeePollen supplement recipe anyone?
« on: March 27, 2005, 01:27:08 pm »
Does anybody have a recipe for pollen suplement for the bees, of the kind you'd use for queen production or when there is not much pollen around?

Such a recipe would contain:
yeast  (not the dry kind)
soya flour
(+/- already gathered pollen)
fine sugar
honey
water

I had a recipe but I cannot find it , so is there anyone who has something like that?

Thanx,
Marina

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 05:47:28 pm »
From internet I learned that I can use soya flour and yeast with pollen. If you put over 20% pollen to mixture, it is palatable for bees.

I make dough with dough machine.

3 kg dry pollen
0,7 litre water to soften pollen over night
3 kg yeast
2 kg soya flour
1 kg heated honey (liguid)
1 kg flour sugar

28% pollen

If dough is too wet, add soya flour and balance the mixture with it.

Then I roll the paste between two dough paper to 5-8 mm plate and give it to the top bars of frame. During one week 2 super colony can eat 0,5-1 kg that dough. New born bees eat it very eargerly.

Near 20% pollen all colonies are not willing to eat dough.

Dough will be in condition at least 3 weeks in cold. The flour sugar add the content of sugar and stops yeast fermentation.

Offline latebee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 01:38:41 am »
Finsky has posted this recipe in the past and from my experience using  it, this is a winner. The bees really devour it.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 08:48:33 am »
Quote from: latebee
Finsky has posted this recipe in the past and from my experience using  it, this is a winner. The bees really devour it.

Nice to hear it!

I have also learned that pollen pills have 30% honey, which bees mix with pollen in flowers.

Last weekend I tryed  20% pollen and the rest yeast. The sugar content of patty must be 40%.  Yeast is not so good food like soya flour.

It worked quite well. Diddicult to say, because hives had very little brood area, about  4 x 4 inch.

Now I have changed honey to fructose, because american fould brood does not die with heating.

Fructose absorbs moisture from hive and keeps patty soft.

anything