Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caught Some Fish, Caught Some Bees---May, 2009  (Read 7367 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Caught Some Fish, Caught Some Bees---May, 2009
« on: May 15, 2009, 08:02:14 am »
First pic is a few of my hives making honey. Went fishing Wednesday out of Venice, Louisiana with a guy named Bobby, a charter fishing captain.

I traded him a fishing trip for removing bees from a tree on his property in Narin, Louisiana. Here's pics of that removal http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/NarinLouisiana#

We went down the Mississippi river to the Gulf of Mexico and fished shallow oyster reefs for big speckaled trout. Some were over 5 lbs. Hope you enjoy the pics http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/May142009?authkey=Gv1sRgCNzWmaqB493tIg#

Last few pics are of a swarm I caught yesterday morning and the open soffit of the window on the roof top picture is one of two removals I did yesterday on the same house.

My friend Bailey was nice enough to refer me on this job.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Caught Some Fish, Caught Some Bees---May, 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 08:14:08 am »
Nice catch. My wife keeps bugging me wanting to go fishing but I find it easier to run to the store and just buy them  :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 08:24:05 am »
"easier" doesn't enrich the soul though. Take her fishing, it'll be good for the both of you.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 08:30:06 am »
that was a heck of cut out on the roof of that house, how come you took all of the shingles off  :lau:

that sure is a nice catch of fish, looks like you had a great day.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:27:28 pm »
I want to go fishing! It rains about every day here and the rivers are all muddy and flooded...now the buffalo gnats are out in swarms (in fact, they are the only swarms I have seen lately) and just being outside is miserable!

I want to move down where JP is!  :'( I can catch fish, clean fish, cook fish the right way and I love to bowfish! Now can I move down that way??  :-D

Brenda

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 08:17:50 pm »
Those are some wild photos of the bees in that tree.  What a nice cozy home they had in that tree and such a large hive.  I cant' believe you get to do all these neat cutouts.

I agree with you Brenda..  The fishing boat made me long for something, not sure what, but it created some longing inside of me.  Perhaps to be on the water which I miss very much.  I was born and raised near the ocean and now live in the mountains. I don't eat fish, but still love to be on the water. 

Great photos JP

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 09:40:33 pm »
Thanks for the kudos y'all. I just now introduced one of the queens from the cut out with the queenless swarm. I gave them to her early this morning in the queen cage and just let her out so they can get to work!

Brenda, I have taken thousands of fish with the bow. I used to have a bowfishing rig. We would take redfish, flounder, alligator and longnose gar, buffalo fish and carp.

We ate the redfish and the gars. Believe it or not the gars are very good eating. We made garfish balls with a roux, over rice, really good eating.

I've taken a few gars that were right at six feet with the bow.

...JP

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:23:00 pm »
Garballs!
 I havent heard those mentioned in over 20 years and it was probably me talking about them!
 As soon as I learned what to do with a gar I could only catch smaller ones after that. I used to drag a piece of nylon rope near where the gar would be surfacing and they'd bite it and get their teeth stuck in the rope!..Real unconventional, but effective!
 I finally went fishing this passed Sunday....and it rained till we got chased off the lake..Stayed on the water for a good fifteen minutes before we called it quits...Was a time that I would have sat in the rain all day long, even if the fish werent biting!
But....things change after awhile...I cant believe I havent been fishing at least 5 days a week in the last few years like I used to do...Maybe Pauls chattering has finally driven me over the edge!...Or, maybe, I'm just content doing the bees and hanging out in here! The doc changed my meds yesterday...She gave me something she said would help get me interested in things again!
 I used to like sex :-D...But now, I'd rather watch the Redsox, or eat ice cream! :'(

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:40:36 pm »
Johnny, I've been told that I have a ton of patience, usually customers that watch me do cut outs, for hours, meticulously transferring comb sections, patiently looking for the queen, etc...

I say any patience I have accumulated over time I credit to fishing and bowfishing.

I've spent hours upon hours waiting for fish to rise so I could pop one, but what joy when you shoot a 5' alligator gar from the bank and watch it run up and down the bayou til you and the fish are finally worn out!

I don't fish or bowfish much anymore as life has become busier and busier, but oh what memories!

And, uh, here's to hoping those new meds help you get your groove on again!

Did I happen to tell you when I was younger I liked fishing so much my Dad would say, "he's probably going to marry a bass!" :-D

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:24:14 am »
JP, as always, your pictures take us right there, you be that king'o'swarms for sure.  So glad that you always take those pictures to show us, it takes us to places that we can only go through our mind's eye.

I agree with you Brenda..  The fishing boat made me long for something, not sure what, but it created some longing inside of me.  Perhaps to be on the water which I miss very much.  I was born and raised near the ocean and now live in the mountains. I don't eat fish, but still love to be on the water. 
Annette

Annette, 100% agree with ya.  I wonder what it is, I get those feelings too.  I wish that I could get out on a boat, do some fishing.  I was born near the ocean myself and have always lived within 50 km of it, but little to do with it.

When we move, we gonna be sitting in a tiny little rowboat on quiet lakes fishing, I know that.....the interior of our province has hundreds upon hundreds of little lakes, we won't be near the ocean.  A wish for a beautiful day to us all, with wonderful health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 06:18:27 pm »
www.redneckfishingtournament.com

This is just down the road from me.....

Brenda

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 08:49:44 pm »
that video is so so funny, LOL and just can't believe they jump like that.  What fun.

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 10:33:12 pm »
that video is so so funny, LOL and just can't believe they jump like that.  What fun.

Those flying fish hit hard! Most of them are big fish weighing in around 20 to 55 pounds....the video just shows the minnows! They will knock you right out of the boat! Skiing in the river is gone for good. They are covered in thick slime and make a mess!

Brenda

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 10:46:37 pm »
JP it been 20 year since I been bowfishing

Johnny

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 12:31:56 am »
So those fish are actually a nuisance and make a mess. Do they at least taste good??

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 02:06:29 am »
So those fish are actually a nuisance and make a mess. Do they at least taste good??

You make you a nice sauce Annette, cook the fish, throw the fish away and put the sauce over some rice. Hey, you'd do that anyway!

...JP

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 11:36:09 am »

You make you a nice sauce Annette, cook the fish, throw the fish away and put the sauce over some rice. Hey, you'd do that anyway!

...JP

JP said it all! They are NOT good for eating! But, I hear that some people in Asia do eat them...maybe they cook them the way that JP said!

The locals are trying to start a processing plant for the Asian carp here. They cook them and grind them up and dry the mess. I think they use it for some type of natural fertilizer....the new plant just opened a few weeks ago. I cannot stand the smell to go investigate!  :oops:

Brenda

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 07:23:43 pm »
Brenda, its been quite a while since I've seen that video, I wonder what they've done to improve the situation, bowfishing tournaments?

Now we're talkin'!

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 12:41:54 am »
Sound yucky!!! I don't eat fish at all so I would not even make a sauce out of it. But I was just curious about the fish.  Really sounds like such a mess,I mean the whole situation with these fish.  Probably should just have an annual fish killing.

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 10:46:57 am »
Brenda, its been quite a while since I've seen that video, I wonder what they've done to improve the situation, bowfishing tournaments?

Now we're talkin'!

...JP

Last year there were boats there from at least ten states. The river was not as high as it should have been either, which was not good for the fish. Too many boats were trying to work in the same place and a few boats collided.
It gets pretty wild out there.

Brenda

anything