Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Early season call for removal  (Read 5465 times)

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
Early season call for removal
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:24:42 pm »
I got my first call of the season to remove a colony from the soffet of a stoop.  I am going to go out and look on Tuesday.  I already told the homeowner that I will not remove the bees until mid March just before I goto Texas.  That way they will have a little time to maybe recover from the brutal eviction and survive this coming season...

I will take pics and post them. 
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Early season call for removal
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 12:30:33 pm »
I got one too. Neighbors got angry off because honmeowner wouldnt take care of it. So they will pay me to destroy there neighbors side wall!!! I will do it in early march, weather permitting.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:19:11 pm »
i have had some calls do do rentals, etc.  how do you guys handle that?  the one that i took in my area, i had the guy get in touch with the owner and have the owner call me.  it was a barn on a farm, so not a big deal.

i am a little twitchy about doing rentals, or property borders......
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 01:32:11 pm »
no greater liability than a home. I have done a few for realtors as people neede them removed before the sale. Treated them the same. Usually willing to spend more as its a "business" cost to them

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 02:06:02 pm »
I got a call yesterday about a removal in a dog house. They have been there about two years. they forced the dogs out. It should be easy, they are between the floor and the ground. The house is about 4' x 6'. I plan to just tip the house on it's end and expose them.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:07:04 pm »
i have had some calls do do rentals, etc.  how do you guys handle that?  the one that i took in my area, i had the guy get in touch with the owner and have the owner call me.  it was a barn on a farm, so not a big deal.

i am a little twitchy about doing rentals, or property borders......

I like to deal personally with the person who is paying me, but if that is not feasable, I want to at least talk with them by phone and explain the job in detail. And if possible I want payment up front. Avoid like the plague any job where a sale is involved and you will get paid after the act of sale. Even if you have met the buyers and have knowledge of the act of sale date. If the sale falls through, you may not get paid for quite a while, if at all. Deal with the property owner if at all possible, this will greatly diminish bad dealings, 86 the middle man whenever possible. This is 20 yrs talking, trust me, I've been there. If it smells fishy, walk away.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 05:47:26 pm »
Good post, JP. I won't touch one until the owner or real estate agent confirms all agreements, including "I will pay you" as a direct statement.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:27:36 pm »
Real Estate companies have been good customers the last few years.  Last year I did three for the same company, they paid me right away and they were reimbursed at the sale.  Usually they want a bid and work out the details with the buyers and sellers.

The border disputes are always interesting, most times it is the homeowner that is destitute and wants them dealt with but can not afford it and the good neighbor will pay to see them gone.  Perhaps I should get payment in advance but I never do.

JP was right on when he said that if a job feels a bit fishy be ready to walk.  I am ready to walk on a regular basis and when I do I can only feel bad for the guy that does take that job.  There is plenty of other jobs to keep me busy and when the cheepo is arguing about the price you know that you are going to have trouble collecting.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 08:48:49 am »
I agree with the walking away.  Especially if they dont like the price..  Sorry....  You pay or you keep your stinging insects is what I tell them...

Ok.  So I went out last night and took a look at the house.  This will be the first house I look at in afluent area.  The guy was pretty happy to sign my legal agreement about tearing into his house.  I am going to go back on Monday and do more investigating as to the best way to extract them.  I will try and remember my camera and take some snap shots.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 12:05:26 pm »
I also charge extra if they seek my advice, say no, poison hive and call me when that fails. I tell them its an extra 150 for not following my directions the first time.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 12:21:27 pm »
I gave the guy the home owners way of doing it wrong run down.  this one was down with me doing it soon....
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 12:22:55 pm »
one more thing...even for you big, tough, boys  :evil:

be careful where you go.  so far i have not gone anywhere that i have been uncomfortable, but i have gotten some really strange phone calls.  there have  been a couple which involved meeting men at remote properties,  and might have been completely legit, but were to far away.  there have been a couple others that have made my skin crawl, and the radar go off.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 02:00:30 pm »
one more thing...even for you big, tough, boys  :evil:

be careful where you go.  so far i have not gone anywhere that i have been uncomfortable, but i have gotten some really strange phone calls.  there have  been a couple which involved meeting men at remote properties,  and might have been completely legit, but were to far away.  there have been a couple others that have made my skin crawl, and the radar go off.

In this day and age it shouldn't surprise me. But, I never would have thought about that. Guess that's why the pistol goes with the smoker huh?

Keith

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 03:57:32 pm »
doesnt everyone conceal and carry???
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 05:14:14 pm »

illegal in my state

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 05:48:19 pm »

illegal in my state

That is truly sad. How is the crime rate in NJ?
By now you would think that everyone would know that taking guns away from good law abiding citizens does not help anyone.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 08:34:51 pm »
I go in the rough areas in the day time and leave in the day time. Not that this is an absolute deterrant, but the creepos sleep late, so I go early. I have to say though, that even the scariest people are happy to see the beeman.

Especially when fresh honey is being passed around!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 02:28:12 pm »
A glock 40 cal is a great deterrant.  Although yes.  Questionable neighborhoods do like seeing the beeman when bees are in the area..  I removed 2 colonies from a questionable neighborhood last summer.  Those folks were happy to see me and kept their distance...

Funny how bees have that going for them. :-D
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 05:38:24 pm »
a glock 40 cal is a great deterrant.  Although yes.  Questionable neighborhoods do like seeing the beeman when bees are in the area..  I removed 2 colonies from a questionable neighborhood last summer.  Those folks were happy to see me and kept their distance...

Funny how bees have that going for them. :-D

My point exactly!

...JP

anything