Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Summer squash harvest - Twins!  (Read 2410 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Summer squash harvest - Twins!
« on: July 18, 2008, 11:39:06 am »
I was out picking my summer squash patch (I've made a vow to find no baseball bats out there this season!) and found this:

Pretty neat!   I'll have to harvest them separately, the big one will be way too big, I'll bet, before the little one is ready.

I'm picking them at about six to eight inches (tops!), and they are wonderful.  Here's a photo from my harvest the other day:

I buy a summer squash collection from The Cook's Garden every year, and have been pleased with the combo.  I didn't used to like summer squash of any kind, at all, I've always grown it for my neighbors, in particular my elderly next door neighbor, she loves them.  But if I get them young, before the seed cavity gets all gushy, I find them quite nice, now.  Sauteed in a little butter or olive oil, even without any seasoning, they're delish!

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Re: Summer squash harvest - Twins!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:47:34 am »
nice looking squash. don't let those male blossoms go to waste...they make for some good eating. i've been selling them for 50 cents a piece at the farmers market.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Summer squash harvest - Twins!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:51:16 pm »
cant see pics. i pcik my sqaush real small, and cook whole on grill. Tatses great too. The more you pick, the more you get too.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".