Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Complete novice from NE CO  (Read 1763 times)

Offline moldy

• New Bee
Complete novice from NE CO
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:58:35 am »
Hoping to start with some bees soon.  We have an old house on the property that has had bees in the walls for more than 20 years.  I am hoping to capture a swarm this spring (they have swarmed for the last 2 years).  Hoping I can get some advice on here as my closest beekeeping organization requires a year of experience to join and expects more of a time commitment than I can give.  It's only March, and we already have bees out.

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
Re: Complete novice from NE CO
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:55:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  You have come to the right place.  Some of the best cutout beekeepers I have ever seen.  You really ought to check out the videos of JP and Hardwood.  They might give you the confidence to cutout some of those bees yourself.  If you do a search for swarm traps you will  find a wealth of information and tips on trapping swarms.  Some of those videos also show how to hive a swarm.  Good luck with it.  I hope you enjoy beekeeping.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:25:37 pm »
Welcome to the forum and get some swarm traps out in case you are not around to catch a swarm from that house.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:34:45 pm »
Where in North East Colorado are you? The Northern Colorado Beekeepers Association would love to have you join I am sure.
Alfred

Offline moldy

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 05:40:20 pm »
We are about an hour east of Greeley.  If I set out an empty hive, will the swarm be attracted to it; or do I need to have a swarm trap (not sure what that is)?

anything