Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can we filter out users  (Read 10390 times)

Offline boca

• House Bee
Can we filter out users
« on: September 26, 2011, 07:50:41 am »
I wander if it is possible to configure this forum software in a way to filter out some users' posts from a thread. It would be a personal setting in order to remove the bullsh!t which I don't want waste time on it. Kind of a spam filter.

It would also encourage everybody to post quality responses.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Can we filter out users
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 09:09:57 am »
The conversation might make less sense or more sense when you don't know what they are responding to... but that would be a nice feature... a sort of ignore.  But you can always not bother to read it if it's by a certain person.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline boca

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 10:40:48 am »
It is true that a post can be skipped by passing through.
However, in my case the posts which I would skip are usually the longer ones and more often the same person keeps posting.
Dumb people talk because they have to say something. Smart people talk because they have something to say.
When I scroll a lengthy page I easily miss a short but worthwhile post of another user. I am human. The machine makes less mistakes.

The server side filtering would even reduce the number of pages to be downloaded.

The person being filtered out could see something like this in his profile:

5 users filter out you posts.

That is a soft message to change attitude. Automatic, without moderator.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:51:37 am by boca »

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:46:54 am »
There is currently no such filter.  However, I believe the next release of the software has an "ignore user" option.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 02:43:44 pm »
I think that would awesome.

I already completely ignore the European forum and the Australian forum. I have never posted there. And never read the posts. But I am still wasting my time reading questions and replies from beekeepers six month out of season with my own beekeeping, or from regions that don't click with my own beekeeping.

Perhaps a filter on a family friendly forum, able to erase words like bullsh!t (used in the first post) would be nice also.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 04:52:23 pm »
In general, I am against blanket filtering. What may be BS to some/most might hit a cord with others. I can support 'family friendly' filtering for some words that I (MHO) find inappropriate for general use and on any forum.

I fully support someone reporting abusers to the forum administrators. There are two users that I personally skip their input because of what they have posted in the past (but that is by my choice, I would not filter them out for all).

I do not know if it is the way my computer is set up, but I get new messages from across the spectrum of topics. I like this because I read magazines about beekeepers in other countries and I like seeing their input as well as those in this country. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 08:14:58 pm »
i'm not a fan of filters.  there are plenty of people that i have disagreed with on a variety of issues, but i have also learned from those same people.   anyone on here who is truly offensive eventually gets run off or kicked off.  seems to me far simpler to just ignore people or posts that you don't like....
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 11:22:16 pm by kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:42:38 pm »
I dont agree, let people be people and let them speak there mind any way they politely choose, its what makes a forum a forum
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 11:38:22 pm »
No one is talking about not letting people say what they want.  What is being discussed is the individual having the ability to not have to read posts by people who only tend to irritate them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 12:29:46 am »
I would politety say get over yourself then.  I dont feel there is any BS here, just peoples opinions.  Take them for what they are and move on.  We have moderators here for the rest
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline boca

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 03:20:26 am »
Mi idea was not to exclude some users from posting.
On the one hand we all simply have limited time, maximum 24 hours per day, on the other hand a practically unlimited amount of information in libraries and on the Internet. The more ballast we leave out by using the computer power the more valuable information we can concentrate on.

Regarding the words I use, keep in mind that English is one of the foreign languages I'm learning. That word I read and hear so often that I thought it is not offensive in informal communication. Thanks for pointing out that it is not appropriate.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 10:39:10 am »
Thanks for pointing out that it is not appropriate.

No problem.

Not sure if you are trying to save time, or are set on social control? I can see not wanting to read certain posters. I feel the same way. But I don't buy into it being too much to simply skip individual posts.

Your idea of being able to "defriend" someone like on facebook, could be used in many ways. That was the reasoning of my comments in my first post. Think about it....Don't like blacks...filtered! Don't like Gays....filtered! Don't like folks from another country....filtered! Don't like some who thinks differently than you....filtered! Are you a MB groupie? Did someone say something contrary to MB....filtered! Folks could be filtering others just based on circle of friends, and based on many things.

A forum is unique. It is a place to pick others peoples brains and expertise. You also get the good and the bad. Both the relevant info you want, and the stories you don't.

Look at it this way. Some new guy calls me up and says he wants to come over and learn. And that happens all the time. Then after he spends all day learning bees, he tells me that perhaps next time, I should not mention the story of the kids, details about my past, and other jokes, conversations and such as we work the bees. He states he only wants my knowledge. Not my personality.

Do you think he is coming back to my place a second time? What he wants, is too pick other peoples brain, have them give him an education for free, and yet not pay the price for it. He wants to dictate how I pass along my knowledge, and this is disrespectful to say the least. When I visit an old-timer, I know he will tell me some stories. I know he might get off subject. I know, some things will not help me. But I don't say "Look old-timer, I'm here to learn bees, not listen to your boring stories! I don't have time to hear you yap"

I really think some should just buy books. Forums are not books. You get information, but you also get personalities, stories, and conversations. Some helpful, some not. But to sit back and complain that it's too much to skip over a particular poster? Come on.

I remember a time when calling attention to a video dropping the f-bomb, was considered (baby-sh!t). Now we have grown men being (or claiming) emotional scarring and hurt feelings over a southern comment meant to be a joke.

Come on folks. You want to come here and learn? Then also know you may need to listen to a few stories, a few debates, and a few off-topic discussions. You get both the good and bad. Or the relevant and not so relevant conversations. That is the price of getting knowledge for free.

Is this long enough for some to consider skipping?  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 11:06:23 am »
I really dont think the post will make any darn sense if you cant at least skim that post from the person you dont like.

We will end up with tons of threads that make no sense what so ever if all of us only see half of what the others are typing. I say if you filter you shouldn't be able to post.

I dont want to read ten people say the same darn thing because they cant see what any of the other ten have said.

Right now we already get enough of the same info over and over again because they do it just a little bit different. Which is fine because the little thing sometimes count but no one wants to see the same link posted 30 times because all 30 of the posters dislike each other.

I think it would kill the forum.

If you want the filter I truly believe you should not be allowed to post on threads that you have filtered.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 01:40:04 pm »
Heck, just today, I had someone attack me for the sake I belong to the Northern States Queen Breeders Association. I guess him being from the south, it bothers him. So would I be "socially controlled" by having someone like this filter my posts and then have another name added to the list? No...not at all. I would wear that growing number with honor knowing others have problems with such things as that. That seems to be their problem, not mine. Although if he filtered my posts, I guess he would not find things to complain about. Hmmmm....Maybe filtering could be good for me.... :-D

Just another illustration of how filtering could be used.

I agree with Haddon. I don't think it would be good for the forum.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 01:44:18 pm »
Is it Spring yet?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 01:51:55 pm »
Is it Spring yet?

Yo!  Were talking about filtering. Keep it on topic, or I'll be filtering you!  :-D I'm wasting my time.  ;)

Why are you asking about spring? You got an important date to remember? Oh crap....now were off topic again. See....now it's your fault I'm going to get more people filtering me. You sucked me in, and I'm sure to get the blame.  :)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 11:14:46 pm »
If you combined filtering with a feature to identify which post you are responding to then you could filter that person and all the responses to that person.  Then it should make perfect sense.  :)
-------------------

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 12:39:35 pm »
I am thinking it is just now the beginning of fall? I don't remember what year.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 01:34:14 pm »
vBulletin software has that feature. One of the amateur radio sites I frequent runs vBulletin and i'm told (i've never put someone in there) that when you add someone to the "Ignore List"... you don't see their posts in the threads.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 03:53:35 pm »
This post was one that was instrumental in one member getting a 30 day ban. Sometimes it isn't what you say, it is what you mean that gets you in trouble here. This case was one of whining after obviously doing wrong and getting called on it.

You all need to know there are 27 words in the language filter currently. 27 words that are changed to other words or BLEEP are placed as a replacement of them. That is part of our family filtering.

Remember to read your bi-laws too - some of you who chose to spell out the BS word and just replace a "!" for the letter "i" should take note that is a violation "Using words to specifically get around the words or terms we choose to edit are a violation of the bi-laws" many people don't realize this, because they are purposely misspelling the word so they don't use the actual word, so generally it is not an issue. Just something you need to keep in mind.

I get a kick out of people who complain about the forum (whether the software, moderators or features) and do so in a way as if there aren't real people behind the scenes making tough decisions that effect member status and policy. I like to say that creating your own forum is NOT hard to do - dictate your own policy or finding a forum that better serves you is also a possibility.

Mind you, our job is NOT to get rid of all the people who cant play fair, it is more like teaching those same people how to get along with members while they are here. Kind of like having to wear a hard hat on the job, no one likes it, you tend to hit your head many more times with one on that you would without it - but sometime, some thing will fall out of no where and if the hard hat deflects the hit, then it did its job.

Lastly, rather than complain, try making suggestions that may better the forum. It is easy for people to whine and shuffle their feet as if someone gave them a laborious job to do, wouldn't it be better to help shape the forum to the way you'd like it that to grumble about the things that bother you?!

Anyone reading Bjornbee's post here would see a whimpering child who fell an got a booboo on his knee. That is what happens when you let a member who knows better get away with bad decision after bad decision - and the way he has been acting will not be repeated by others, I hope they learn from his misadventures. This might be a good time to read your own posts and see if you could have written it better.

The 20th of this month is our Forum Anniversary - there are a few change coming this month - but I promise those of you who like the no filtering idea, we will never be a Howardstern.com

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.