Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does dearth affect egg laying?  (Read 2033 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Does dearth affect egg laying?
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:59:54 pm »
Do queens slow down or stop laying when there is a drought/dearth? To me it would make sense that when food supplies are low, she would slow or stop laying to extend the existing food supply. Any other thoughts or opinions?

Offline yelnifok

• New Bee
Re: Does dearth affect egg laying?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:49:37 pm »
Slow down yes but to quit laying would dome the hive. Here in okla. we have had one of the worst dearths since I started beekeeping ('94). We haven't had any substantial rains here since mid April. I feel a little luckier than some other's only because I did not harvest this spring because it got so dry so quick. Instead, I equalized my colonies populations and the amount of honey stores they had- they all have survived and it rained yesterday so now -maybe- they will be able to gather a fall crop. The problem with them being low- both population and stores- is that they need to build up both to survive the coming winter. I would suggest you start feeding sugar syrup (pure cane sugar) 1/1 with water and maybe even supplying a pollen substitute to help stimulate brood rearing. They can't raise babies without both food sources.lee...

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:53:22 pm »
I'm in southwest MO and its been dry here all summer. All of my hives will have a patch of capped brood about the size of the palm of your hand and some eggs/ larvae about the same amount. My bees are Russian / feral mutts and they really cut back when nothing is coming in. IMO Itialians probably keep a bigger brood nest in a dearth.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 07:03:00 pm »
I would have to agree with Yelinfok.  Some even feed before the fall flow to get the population up for that, where they will be able to store plenty for winter.  Good luck with all yuall's bees.  We have had a dearth before fall flow, are over average rain fall and fixing to get more.  Maybe you can get some of it.

Joe

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 03:12:28 pm »
Different races respond differently to dearths.  Russians, Carniolans and feral survivors in my experience are more likely to shut down than Italians.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 03:53:13 pm »
Different races respond differently to dearths.  Russians, Carniolans and feral survivors in my experience are more likely to shut down than Italians.

Yes, it is so. Some strains continue laying what ever happens.
Bees basic instinct says that if it is short of food flow, slow down or you starve to death.

Then we come to serious issue. If severe dearth continues, bees do not get proper pollen enough for winter bees and lots of hives will die in winter.

Language barrier NOT included