Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fabric under hives to prevent grass  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Terrex

• New Bee
Fabric under hives to prevent grass
« on: April 20, 2011, 04:52:51 pm »
Does anyone do this?  Like Landscape fabric under hives?  I get tired going out with scissors and trimmins.  I read the post about the mowing and the dog and owner getting chased.  Would like to avoid that if possible.
Teresa

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Fabric under hives to prevent grass
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:31:34 pm »
can't see any harm in it.  i tend to hit everything with roundup early, but for those who don't want to spray i'd think the  material would be a good option.  most of us mow without trouble, but there is a risk....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:16:06 pm »
old rubber roofing works great, call around to some of the roofing contractors in town, they should give it away for nothing.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline TwiceOnSundays

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:45:23 pm »
I used a small rug that was going to be thrown out anyway, it stayed in place better than the fabric does and worked well. 

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:10:48 pm »
Old used carpet would work as well for a season.  U could get tons from someone who installs and removes it.

James
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:23:43 pm by jmblakeney »
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 09:23:34 pm »
Ditto on the carpet.

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 10:44:15 pm »
i've used landscape fabric, stays good for years and when you drop your hive tool it is not in the grass.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:54:58 pm »
We use the landscape fabric for permanent yards. Works very well. Some weeds manage to get through but a far cry from not having it there. We also use roundup outside the fabric. Be aware that fire ants will still nest/mound under the fabric.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 11:11:41 pm »
I use old used roofing shingles.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:16:14 pm »
I've used several methods but mostly I use the old "step and grind" method of weed control. I've found that using four letter words directed toward the weeds doesn't really help but it may help you feel a little better :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 03:49:22 am »
Lots of cardboard, newspaper, or other degradable, and mulch.  Lot's of mulch.  The tape doesn't degrade, so you will want to peel it off.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 07:29:36 am »
Old rugs & carpet, shingles, feed bags, plywood, just about anything that is flat goes around hives rather than going in the trash.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 07:40:00 am »
I use sheets of rubber in most yards.

If your up this way, stop in. I have pallets of the stuff.  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 10:03:19 am »
I've used several methods but mostly I use the old "step and grind" method of weed control. I've found that using four letter words directed toward the weeds doesn't really help but it may help you feel a little better :-D

Scott

I would think that with all the alien interaction, the radiation would have kept the weeds at bay. Or you have bred up some super-mutant weeds  :mrgreen:

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 12:08:49 pm »
I have used all of the above plus old car floor mats and so pc's or industial belts that I found in a dumpster years ago

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 12:32:18 pm »
I have done some of the fabric as well.  If you plan ahead you can get it down under the hives and it helps, but I like the carpet idea or mulch or something.

One thing that has helped me was buying an electric weed wacker.  Then, when I am out there in my bee suit I can just clean up around the hives easily (gas would work as well - I have no electric outlets near my hives, so I just needed a portable solution and the electric ones were pretty cheap and works well enough.)

Offline CarlinMO

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 01:13:22 pm »
I use the bottoms of truck drop-in bed liners.  They are thrown away now that Linex type products are replacing them.  The are hard plastic with ridges for drainage.  I cover them with a layer of wood chips.  Nothing can get through them.

anything