Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: adding supers  (Read 1500 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
adding supers
« on: July 27, 2013, 11:27:13 am »
if i have a nearly full super is it better to add a new one under the full one? i'm out of fully drawn out frames. the frames i have are partially drawn out or foundation only

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: adding supers
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:40:54 am »
if i have a nearly full super is it better to add a new one under the full one?

that is right place

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Spinner

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 02:24:55 pm »
I always super on top.  Here's an extract from one bee association website, which is consistent with what most beeks do:

Supers are usually added on top of the previous super. This is the easiest way to put on supers as less lifting is required and you can easily check the existing super to see if another is required. Bottom supering involves lifting one or more nearly full supers off and adding the new super directly above the brood nest. It demands a lot more work, which is only warranted if supering has been delayed and combs in the top super have been completely capped over.

Offline MTWIBadger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:29:01 pm »
I guess I must not do what "most beeks do" by placing a new honey super below the nearly full super. I place a new honey super right on top of the brood nest which helps prevent getting honey bound. For me it's that not difficult or that much work to lift up a full honey super. Especially in comparison to moving a whole hive which I do with the help of my son to maximize honey production.

Another option is removing individual capped frames of honey (and harvest them) and replacing them with empty frames. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:23:26 pm »
I prefer to add them on top, that way I do not have to take the hive to see when to add another super. That works really well with my screen top boards. I have tried adding them above and below and do not see much of a difference.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:39:16 pm »
I always put mine on top. Works ok for me and my mutts.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 01:40:54 pm »
I do it both ways and can't really tell any difference. If they need them they will fill them. If they don't they want. I will usually put a frame or two that they are working on in the new box and put the empty frames in the full box. May help may not.

anything