Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Red Gum - Flow Characteristics  (Read 2719 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Red Gum - Flow Characteristics
« on: December 17, 2013, 12:11:03 am »
Quick question for the 'ol timers' - Red Gum - what is its flow characteristics? I live in an area where the Red Gum is going crazy at the moment! but we've had fairly mild weather of late and when i checked some of my hives there was a fair bit of pollen but not an abundance of nectar. Does Red Gum require some steady hot days to get the nectar really flowing? also, how long does it normally flower for?

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: Red Gum - Flow Characteristics
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 01:37:02 am »
Hey Oz,

Have you got your hives around Melbourne? I reckon with all the wet weather we've been having lately that a lot of the nectar is getting washed out of the flowers. I've had a succession of gums flowering around me lately but the girls still aren't bringing a lot in. I harvested a box and a half off 2 hives about 4-5 weeks ago thinking they would quickly refill it, but nada, sweet bugger all.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 11:42:45 pm »
G'day Mate, yeah I do! and I'm in the same boat! they've started bringing a bit more in since we've had some dry days but I wish it were a little more consistent! I hope this hot weather we're having this week doesn't cause them to dry up completely or to drop their flowers!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 03:29:27 am »
Yeah, that's the other problem isn't it? Stinking hot on Thursday and then back to showers.