Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laying worker with queen cell  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Evan W

• New Bee
Laying worker with queen cell
« on: June 24, 2013, 03:03:09 pm »
Through much experimenting I was able to create a laying worker colony.  :-D that's sort of true, my second year I wanted to make nukes, so that being said I took out a few queen cells from a hive and left one or two. After inspecting all my hives many times I never saw sign of a queen in the hive I removed the capped queens from, so I added a frame of eggs and brood to see if they would make a queen cell. I checked it after a week or so and found 1 capped queen and that's when I noticed that I had a laying worker.

Will the capped queen be enough to stop the laying worker once she hatches and mates? Like I said they made this queen not a different hive.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: Laying worker with queen cell
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 03:56:19 pm »
How long did this colony stay queen less "with out" any brood?  :) d2

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 04:42:17 pm »
are you sure you dont have a young just getting the hang of it queen?

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 05:56:51 pm »
 put in a frame of brood-it will readjust the bees to a more normal mode--RDY-B

Offline Evan W

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 06:14:28 pm »
Definitely a laying worker, capped drone cells and multiple eggs in each cell. Not sure how long it was queenless, I was more interested in the nukes.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:43:59 am »
move the laying worker off its stand and put a queen right nuc in its place.  by the end of the day you will have a strong nuc.  after a couple of days you can shake out the rest or just let it die

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Evan W

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 02:50:26 pm »
Thanks Michael, your shake and forget method, once the laying worker is shaken to another hive will she revert back to her old duties or will the colony ball her? I don't want to turn a strong colony into a laying worker colony. This method will work great if the queen cell that I found in the LW colony hasn't hatched and is being mated.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 04:37:31 pm »
  Evan--you have a queen cell that is caped in the hive that is a laying worker-?
 if Im reading this right thats what Im to understand--this is not a hopeless case
 let the cell hatch out--frame of brood will help the bees restore pheromones that
keep hive in balance---
 it was the lack of these pheromones that prompted some worker bees to start laying -
the pheromones suprese the overys and egg laying--any worker can lay eggs--
this is a easy fix for -most people dont have the patience for laying worker hives
but in this case it is not hopeless--RDY-B

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 08:19:50 pm »
If you you want a  MB answer then just just go to his page and thank him there or message him on there and he will send you a link as he always does.   If you ask a question and get some answers don't reply thank you MB.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:50:00 am »
>Thanks Michael, your shake and forget method, once the laying worker is shaken to another hive will she revert back to her old duties or will the colony ball her?

I don't know for sure, but it works out.  They might stop them at the door and kill them or they might let them in.  But they have a different attitude when begging to be let into a hive that is not theirs, than they do when they think they are defending their own home.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin