Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hot Hive  (Read 1936 times)

Offline fcderosa

• House Bee
Hot Hive
« on: June 20, 2006, 08:46:18 am »
I read somewhere on this forum that requeening an Italian hive with a russian queen should be considered a hot hive.  Why? :?
The good life is honey on a Ritz.

Offline Joe

• House Bee
Hot Hive
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 09:15:37 am »
I'm not sure why requeening an Italian hive with a Russian queen would make a hive hot, but I have both Italians and Russians and the Russians are certainly more aggressive then the Italians, not so much so as to be problematic though. The Russians also don't build up as quickly as Italians, but they do overwinter much better, atleast in my experience with them.

Offline mark

• House Bee
Hot Hive
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 10:40:11 pm »
an italian hive is  said to be very difficult to requeen with a russian queen. apparently the scent or pheremones are too different .  if the hive turn hot upon requeening this may be the reason.  if weeks later it's the offspring of the new queen and the following may be of interest.         page 36 of hive and the honey bee lists crossbreeding of different races-- experiments carried out by ruttner,1968 and bornus 1972.
     mellifera x carnica  31% better yield than better parent--carnica      
     carnica x mellifera   33% better than carnica  (very aggressive)
     ligustica x carnica    70% to carnica  ( aggressive)
     carnica x ligustica    10% to carnica ( gentle)
  those of you who have the book know there is more but this is to just show it all depends on just how the cross is made whether the hive will generally turn aggressive or not.   i have not had a problem raising my own queens for two generations from  commercial italian queens.  i can't say that for carniolans.  first cross and they were hot.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Hot Hive
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 11:14:03 pm »
Requeening an Italian hive with a Russian queen should be considered a difficult requeening.  You'll need to stack the deck to get acceptance.  Requeening a hot hive is a difficult requeen.  You'll need to stack the deck to get acceptance.

That's the only connection I see.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin